If the photo
in this post looks familiar, it should.
I’ve posted it before. But I’ve
decided to undertake a new Texas history project within this blog (in addition
to my courthouse project), and that is a visit to some of the great Post
Office murals in this big state. The
murals, examples of New Deal art, were commissioned by the Section of Painting
and Sculpture of the U.S. Treasury Department between 1934 and 1943. During the Great Depression the Public Works
of Art Project was developed to bring artist workers back into the job market
and assure the American public that better times were on the way. Nearly $145 million was appropriated for the
construction of new buildings, including courthouses, schools, libraries, and
post offices, and the Section of Painting and Sculpture focused its goal on
reaching as many American citizens as possible.
Since the local post office seemed to be the most frequented government
building by the public, the Section commissioned 700 murals to be put on
national display. The Post Office Murals
have come to be known as the People's Art. I discovered
a wonderful book called The Texas Post Office Murals by Philip Parisi which contains photos of all the
Texas murals, even original photos of a few which have become lost or were
destroyed. The book is full of history about each one.
Texas
was granted 69 murals, 61 of which still exist, although a small number of
those are not available for public viewing.
I encountered three of these murals during a trip I took a year ago into
Central Texas, but even more exciting I now know that there are seven right
here in East Texas within a short 100 miles of where I live, so my goal is to
bring the People’s Art of Texas to the people who follow this blog. Someday perhaps I’ll get the opportunity to
travel to more distant parts of the state to see the others. I’m still lacking 35 courthouse photos of
Victorian era courthouses so hopefully having two goals will make all those
miles easier to accomplish.
All 50
states and Puerto Rico have Post Office Murals.
You can find a list of your state’s murals by visiting this link.
Cowboys Receiving the Mail
by Otis Dozier - 1939
Giddings, Texas
When
commissioned for the Giddings mural, Dozier started with some preliminary
sketches featuring Pony Express riders and cowboys receiving mail. But when he visited Giddings, he found that
cowboys in that area were few and far between. The postmaster informed him that the town
instead had one of the largest poultry processing plants in that area, so
Dozier began work on some sketches featuring the poultry industry. Upon being submitted to the Section of
Painting and Sculpture, Dozier was informed that the section found the poultry
business a bit unsavory and its goal was to supply the public with works of
beauty. He was encouraged to pursue his
ideas of cowboys receiving the mail, which he personally felt to be a charming
subject which emphasized the mail’s importance in people’s lives.
In this
mural we see cowboys gathered around a rural mailbox as one of them opens a
newly arrived package containing a pair of red cowboy boots, a second cowboy
reading a letter he has received (perhaps from a sweetheart?), while the third
cowboy sits astride his horse with disappointment on his face, having not
received any mail. The mural includes
some mountains in the background, although the
landscape around Giddings is completely flat.
Despite this error and the lack of cowboys in Giddings, the community
liked the mural and the postmaster has been quoted as saying it was “a
first-class job.”
(Historical
information for this post has been taken directly from The Texas Post Office
Murals by Philip Parisi.)


11 comments:
'first-class' - hahaha... :)
i do remember this one from your earlier post, because i remember remarking/wondering about those mighty high heels on those boots they're wearing! i could never walk in those much less ride! :)
I agree with Theresa. The heels are fascinating to me as well.
Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography
Nice mural, you can join the "Monday Mural" theme as well.
Like the mural and those red cowboy boots.
I do remember this one and am glad you posted it again. i love it. Cowboys were and are and always will be my thing... that is a lot of murals to still be standing...
I really like this mural, even if it doesn't have a chicken in it. This sounds like a great project and I look forward to the next post office mural.
Wow, lots of interesting information here. Sounds like a great project for you to take up. I'm going to check that link and see if Arizona has any post office murals.
There are two in Phoenix. I'll check those out!
Beautiful mural. Love the story it tells.
I look forward to seeing more of these!
I love the way you approach Texas history Kathy. This mural is particularly important to me of course since I used to use that post office. I loved learning about it! Didn't know they used to process chickens in Giddings!
Post a Comment