Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Indian Paintbrush and Bluebonnets


Our bluebonnets are going to seed and are slowly disappearing amongst the tall grass, but the brilliant Indian paintbrush are still in full blown.  Several of the comments on the bluebonnets post two days ago mentioned that the photo looked like a painting, and more specifically some likened it to a Monet watercolor.  That was the intent in the photo processing because all that detail in one little photo doesn't come across too well.  I used a Topaz Adjust filter called Venice in one of the preset categories to achieve that look.  I find it works quite nicely in photos that might otherwise be just too busy to be eye-appealing and also in landscapes to give a "painterly" effect.  I particularly liked the outcome of Venice for this photo.
We Texans have former first lady Lady Bird Johnson to thank for our present awareness and love of native wildflowers.

11 comments:

Randy said...

Beautiful shot.

TexWisGirl said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

So pretty!

EG CameraGirl said...

So beautiful!

Suburban Girl said...

Glorious. What a sight.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

beautiful 'painting' and i would love to see these in real life. the paintbrush is just awesome to me

Sharon said...

I've not heard of Topaz filters. I'll have to check that out. I'm always looking for interesting ways to edit photos. I love Indian paintbrush. They have quite a lot of them at the Desert Botanical Garden. It's great to see their splash of red among all the other wildflower colors.

Judy said...

Unlike the other shorter lived flowers, the Indian Paintbrush bloom all summer here and add a nice splash of color to the otherwise brown landscape.
I do like the editing on the flower pictures that you have posted.

Jeanne said...

They are so pretty!!

Gail Dixon said...

Wow, these are gorgeous. Your processing works! And you have a great eye for color and composition.

Amy Burzese said...

Simply gorgeous. You are so fortunate to live amongst these beautiful fields.