Thursday, March 27, 2014

Varmint Tales

For those of you who have followed this blog (and I must say that I'm truly thankful for those of you who continue to stick around in spite of my many absences), you may remember back in the fall I was trapping squirrels and relocating them to other areas away from our bird feeders.  I eventually trapped and deported 11 of those little critters and I'm happy to announce that we haven't seen a squirrel around our place since Thanksgiving.  Now I know that there are surely millions of them that live in these pine forests but why they've not been back I don't know.  I'm sure one day soon we will see those little rascals again.

In the meantime in the past week something has been actually taking some of  our feeders down and feasting on the goodies we put out for the birds.  My mother believed she had seen a raccoon one night so I set the trusty trap, only to arise the next day to find it empty and sprung but no critter inside.  I borrowed a larger trap from my uncle and set it one night earlier this week .


Rocky here was not a willing participant in my varmint relocation program. Here he's packed and ready for a trip to another county. He should consider himself lucky. Most trapped critters are the victims of capital punishment.

Our bird feeders were safe again.  For one night, that is!  Another bird feeder down.  This time a steel wire actually cut in half!


This morning I was happy to award Polly Possum with an all expense paid trip across the Attoyac River to Shelby County.  But Polly was an unwilling participant in my program.  She refused to get out of the trap!  Even a little prodding with a stick didn't convince her.  So we came back home and I tracked down a neighbor who went with us and helped coax Polly out while I held the trap door open.  We actually picked the trap up, shook her out but she managed to grab hold of one of the bars and hung on for dear life!  I know Polly was unhappy to leave her family (and my neighbor says based on her size she probably still has a mama and sisters and brothers around here) but I'm sure she'll make some new friends soon!

A little added note:  I have hired a certified nurse's aide to come stay with my mom one day a week to allow me to have a little time away from home.  This should allow me the opportunity to use my camera a little more often but it doesn't free up any more of my time for more blogging.  I'll visit and contribute a photo every now and then as time permits.

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i know they are pesky critters, but they sure are CUTE! so glad you were able to relocate these two - and even better, no squirrel return (thus far!)

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i laughed and giggled all the way through the story, i read it again out loud to hubby and when i got to Polly Possum i laughed so hard i could not read out loud... hubby loved it... he said where is that, i said rural america... they are both cute and God bless you for releasing them from capital punishment. we have had both in our yard here, but unfortunately we have a dog that believes in capital punishment for critters in his yard.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

oops forgot to say I am glad you found someone to give you a short break. the caregiver needs as much care as the person they care for.

Gail Dixon said...

Having taken care of my mom (but only for a short while) I know what you are going through. It's good that you hired someone to help. You need that break.

Amazing the critters you've managed to capture in those traps! And I admire your humane way of dealing with them. Certainly made for some great photos, too!

Mersad said...

I'm so glad that you chose to relocate the animals. Most people don't. I remember your post back last year, and I'm happy you stuck to your methods. I hope the free time that has opened up will be put to good use, although if you decide to just lay down and get some rest, no one will judge you. Take care Kathy!

Suburban Girl said...

I am glad you will be getting a little break. Those critters may be a nuisance, but they sure are cute to us city folk.

Paula said...

Seems like Polly was "bound and determined" as they say to stay at your place. Made for a funny post. Glad you are going to get at least one day off.

Randy said...

That racoon reminds me of the one who would visit us in the Summer.

Jo's World said...

I'm glad you are back and found a way to have a day to yourself. You will enjoy it and so will we!

Cheers,

Jo

Sharon said...

Your relocation program appears to be working well, except for the occasional reluctant participant. I love the look on that Polly's face.

Judy said...

What a funny story! I can just picture Polly hanging onto that cage for dear life.
Thank you so much for naming my chickens. I had no idea what kind they were and like you, I like seeing them but wouldn't want one.

Jeanne said...

Cute story!! Hang in there. I have been sidetracked in life right now also and not much time for blogging and picture taking.

EG CameraGirl said...

Too bad Polly wasn't into traveling but you are correct that she'll get used to her new neighbours! We have a raccoon that likes to help herself to the bird seed too. They sure are messy critters, aren't they?

I'm so glad you are hiring someone to stay with your mother once a week. I don't know how you managed without some time for yourself!

Kate said...

You are a true animal lover; my son does the same thing with squirrels in our backyard but it barely makes a dent in the population.

One day a week will be a wonderful break for you! Try to really indulge yourself: such a faithful and loving daughter you are!!