Monday, March 3, 2014

A Vatican of Cardinals

I hope the visitors to this blog don't tire of photos of cardinals.  Since the care of my mother takes almost all my time these days I don't have a chance to get away too often so most of my shutter time lately has been spent with the backyard birds.  For those of you who read my cardinal Super Bowl post of a few postings back and were amazed at the number of cardinals we have, I'll take this opportunity to tell you that on most mornings and evenings during the coldest days we have somewhere between 30 and 40 who congregate for a meal.

I believe they have come to know me since my mother is unable to feed them every day as she once was and I have taken over that duty as well.  This afternoon as I was walking back to our house from getting our mail, as I neared the cardinals started flying in.  By the time I got through the door and turned back around there were about 10 who were fluttering around the area, so I gathered up a handful of sunflower seeds and spread them out on our handicap ramp and by the time I went and found my camera there were about 10 who were feasting.  These photos were all taken through glass.


There are several names for a group of cardinals, including "college," "conclave," "deck,"  and "radiance."  I rather liked the "Vatican" description.


Males with the brightest red color are known  to feed at higher rates and have greater reproductive success than males that are duller in color.  My observation is that the brightest reds appear to be the most dominant in the male population.


Fights frequently break out when there is food involved.


Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who is the reddest of them all?

21 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nope, i won't tire of them one bit. :) you have almost as many cardinals as i have whistlers. :)

Suburban Girl said...

Great title!

Kim, USA said...

Wow that is beautiful!

Randy said...

I can't believe how many you have. I would be happy to see one.

Beth said...

The cardinal is such a beautiful bird. You got some great shots.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I would love to see just one let alone 10. They are so pretty. Love the last photo!

Paula said...

I would never tire of cardinals. We have more then I have ever seen at the ranch this year. I don't feed birds out there since we don't live there but they are snacking on something John feeds the cattle.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks to me like you have a whole conclave of dominant males!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i love the fluttering one in the first photo.. i have never seen this many in one place. it is amazing and i noticed only 1 female with all these males. no wonder they are fighting. LOL

Gail Dixon said...

I could never tire of seeing your cardinals! We have a few, but not nearly as many as you. The cardinal is what got me into birding, so it will always be special to me. :)

Life Is A Road Trip said...

I love cardinals and never get tired of seeing them. How have you been? I miss you. My mother just passed last montht, the day after her 89th birthday. Take care. Glad to see you are still taking photos.

biebkriebels said...

You really have a treasure in the backyard, it looks like a aviary there. 40 of those beautiful birds, I think I would watch them for hours.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I don't think I have ever seen that many cardinals in one place before!

Dan said...

That's a blessing to see so many Cardinals at one time. Wonderful captures too!

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, what beautiful photos! You are so blessed to have these colorful birds living so near by.

SRQ said...

Wow -- what a treat to see so many beautiful cardinals! I love your name for the group -- "vatican" -- clever. Sorry to hear your time has been limited lately. Hopefully, we'll both get back on track soon. I hope your mom is doing well. You're a terrific daughter looking after her.

Rohrerbot said...

I LOVE these!!!!! This is really really cool. I would have wet my pants. Maybe that's too much information:)

Sharon said...

When I came back and took a second look at these photos, I had to smile at the middle one. It really does make me think of those red robed gentlemen gathering at the Vatican.

Magpie said...

You are blessed! Must seem hard to feel that way sometimes, but what a cheerful gathering this is and you get it everyday! Miss you.
Magpie

Kate said...

This congregation of Cardinals is remarkable! I don't think any viewers would tire of seeing these gorgeous birds. I'm thrilled with the pair of Cardinals that visit our backyard; I'd be over the moon if we had even half that many in our yard!

Judy said...

I don't know how I missed this post! I love the title, perfect! It must be fun to watch these guys.