Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Friendly Little Church in the Valley


St. Peter Lutheran Church
Walburg, Texas

There seems to be some controversy over the spelling of this little town, Wahlburg or Walburg.  I decided to go with the Texas Historical Association and spell it Walburg.  

My greatest successes during my trip to Central Texas were the photographs of churches.  I've shown you a couple and there are more to come.  Walburg is just down the road from New Corn Hill in Williamson County.  This tiny little village has two active Lutheran churches, both established in the 1880s.  The present building was constructed in 1930.  Many articles from the original church were used in this "modern" structure, including the windows in the chancel (the space around the altar).  The congregation has become known as "The Friendly Little Church in the Valley."  

Following is what the Texas Historical Association has to say about Walburg:  By the 1890s Walburg was a judicial seat and a shipping point, with a physician, a drugstore, a blacksmith, a shoemaker, banking facilities, and a cotton gin.  The town's estimated population rose from 16 in 1890 to 102 in 1904 and 200 in 1925.  A rapid increase to 400 residents was reported in 1929, but the population returned to 200 by 1933.  From 1945 through 1990 the estimated population remained stable at 250.  Ethnic groups in the area include German, Wendish, Czechoslovakian, Austrian, and Swiss.  Commercial activity has declined significantly since the 1970s.  Walburg reported eight businesses in 1976 but only two in 1984.  In 2000 the population was 250 with eight businesses.  

I only saw the two Lutheran churches and a German bar when I went through Walburg so I must presume it has continued to decline. 


13 comments:

Randy said...

Cute church.

Dan said...

Church architecture is awesome!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

absolutely beautiful church, the steeple is really different, and one i have not seen before.... the little tow n that could not be should be the story of this town...

TexWisGirl said...

sweet church with numerous crosses on top. poor little town...

DeniseinVA said...

Beautiful place Kathy and lovely shots. Interesting bit of history about the town also. I like to take photos of churches and have one on my blog right now at the bottom of my post. Have a great day!

Judy said...

There is something about little white churches. This one does have a friendly look about it.

Lois Evensen said...

Very pretty. We like to stop and take pictures of churches during our road trips, too. They are so very pretty and telling of the people who settled the area.

Sharon said...

What a tiny little place this must be. That church looks perfect for such a small community.

Kaya said...

This is a very beautiful church and was built with such love and care.

Kathy, you took an amazing picture of this church!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's rather sad that people are leaving small towns to live, I presume, in cities, but I guess that is where most of the jobs are as well as the places to shop.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That's a beautiful little church. I'm sure sorry to hear the small town is in decline, though. I think many of them are and it's sad.

Amy Burzese said...

Very interesting and it has lots of character.

A Colorful World said...

This is indeed a lovely church!