Tuesday, July 9, 2013

High Hopes


Ever had high hopes of what you'll find when you go to new places?    I think we all do.  Whenever I go on a road trip here in Texas I always do a bit of research in advance to spot the places and things I might have an interest in.  My hopes were somewhat dashed on my recent three-day trip into Central Texas when I visited what I had expected to be a photo-rich area in Brenham.  It's one of those touristy places that everyone visits and talks about all the time.  I for one couldn't figure out what all the hype was about.  I could only find perhaps two places on the Internet that I thought would be worthwhile visiting, seeing that I'm interested in historic places, courthouses, churches, and the like, but I figured surely once I got there I'd change my mind.  I even had reservations to stay for the evening, although I knew I'd probably arrive around noon.  After driving through the downtown area and finding absolutely nothing I thought my camera would find rewarding, I decided not to take the time to tour the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory (after all, I didn't want the possibility of overeating some of the best ice cream outside of homemade that exists on this earth).  My efforts were at least soothed by finding this wonderful administration building on the primary campus of Blinn University.  Would you believe it's the ONLY picture I took in the whole town?  Yes, my friends, truth be told, I blew out of Brenham about as fast as I blew in, making another almost 60 miles before I finally settled down for the evening in historic Bastrop where that evening and the next morning, I took enough pictures to make up for the dearth of photo ops in Brenham.

However, I must say that this building at Blinn is absolutely gorgeous!  Blinn is Texas' premier "transfer" college - meaning it's a two-year school and its students go on to further education at some of the state's other top universities.  Blinn was started in 1883 and has an enrollment of over 18,000 students on four campuses (or is that campi?), the original and largest being located at Brenham.  A whopping 65 percent go on to fulfill baccalaureate degrees at Texas A&M, one of Texas' tier-1 universities and the state's first public institution of higher learning.

12 comments:

Randy said...

You are stronger than me. I would have not been able to stay away from Blue Bell. They make the best Black Walnut Ice Cream.

TexWisGirl said...

pretty impressive building. sorry the rest was so disappointing - but, yeah, i'd have gone thru blue bell, too. :)

Pia said...

That building is very beautiful, I can't imagine that it is not surrounded from nice places or sceneries. And you had no ice cream.... you get choosy Kathy :-)

MadSnapper n Beau said...

that is strange to find a town in Texas that you could not find historic buildings. i like the clock tower on this one..

Beth said...

A beautiful building! I would have had some ice cream.

Judy said...

The building is impressive. What you talk about here is the main reason we never make reservations when we travel the country. You just don't know what is around the next bend in the road. You may want to stay or you may want to go. Making reservations puts a glitch in our giddy-up!

Jo's World said...

Whats happening to you, Kathy? Becoming a little blase' are we?

I certainly agree with you about this building though, it makes me think of the home where Willie Wonka lived. Very hard to describe but mostly not of this world.

Cheers,
Jo

Birdman said...

When you go a 'ramblin' it's always the abandon gas stations and such that I'm drawn to in your photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

It is gorgeous, I agree.

Lately it seems my husband and I are exploring the same old places...and yet I keep seeing something new. But I would LOVE to go on a brand new adventure soon.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You have more will power than I do, Kathy. I would have had to indulge in some yummy ice cream!

Sorry you didn't find the town to be what you hoped. I hate when that happens and it does happen occasionally. The building at Blinn is a beauty, tho. It has a great looking bell tower.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Skipping Blue Bell??? WOW!

Awesome building. I like that the call the college a transfer college - that describes it perfectly!
Lovely post, Kathy!

Kate said...

There always seems to be something to salvage disappointment, and you found it in this remarkable building. The school certainly has a good record.