One of my missions on my trip through Central Texas was to find some of the beautiful churches in the area. Of course, I was looking for the painted churches but unfortunately I was unable to see those so another visit will have to be planned to take an organized tour. But as I drove through the little town of Bartlett, I knew I had come across the mother lode!
My first encounter was the old First Presbyterian Church above. It actually had a realtor's for sale sign with the appended sign of "Sale Pending." I'd love to know who the new owner will be and what their plans are for this historic building. I've always been rather fascinated by the idea of living in an old church. Wouldn't it be fun to climb into the tower and ring the bell!
There is an historical marker on the exterior wall of the Presbyterian Church telling those who take the time to stop and read it that the congregation was originally established in 1875 on Indian Creek. The sanctuary on this building was erected in 1899.
Just a few blocks down the same street was this beautiful but boarded-up Gothic church with those fabulous windows. On a Google map of Bartlett it indicates this is a Methodist church. A picture of this church taken in 2005 before it fell into disrepair is included in the information about Bartlett on the Texas Escapes website so I wonder what has happened to this beautiful lady in the intervening seven years.
This is by far my favorite photo of the entire trip. The sign over the sanctuary door says it's a Methodist church but the sign to the right of the stairs on the left side of the photo which includes information about services and times indicates it is now a Pentecostal church.
The last two photos were processed using Topaz Adjust Spicify filter. It is my favorite photo processing method because it really enhances clouds and building details.
Bartlett, population 1800, lies in two counties, Williamson and Bell. Once a thriving town with over 100 businesses, it started declining in the 1930s with the Great Depression and the bankruptcy of the railroad which ceased operation. The population has increased by 208 people in the past 11 years.




23 comments:
Thanks for posting the beautiful old church. When I lived in San Antonio I took many day trips with a group from a hospital and one was to the Painted Churches. They are beautiful.
This last picture almost looks like it could be two separate churches. Maybe in todays world, its how you stay open for business!
Cheers,
Jo
That church looks great! I like the ambiance in these shots.
my favorite is the fist church. i love it and the second one is just beautiful. i love old frame houses and churches.. and could live in either of these, but i am thinking it would take mucho dollars to make it livable...i hope they preserve it and don't tear it down... these are the churches of my childhood in the South
I love seeing the churches on your trip. It's good to hear someone bought that first one. I do hope it gets restored, but it almost looks beyond help. I'll bet the second one was a beauty in its heyday. I also love the look of the last one.
Have a nice day and wonderful weekend!
i loved the old ones! wow!
i know your time is limited these days, but i also know you've said you've taken quite a few church photos. a new meme started up a couple of months ago. thought your post would be perfect to join in!
inspired-sunday
oops. don't think my link code worked. here's the address they use for it - opens saturday afternoon at 5 our time (i think).
http://inspiredsundaymeme.blogspot.com/
I love those old boarded up churches. Someone could do all kinds of interesting things with those buildings. But, the jewel is of course the third one. Look at those windows! And, the sky in your photo is perfect.
This post made me go to Wiki and look up Painted Churches. I would make a special trip to Texas just to see these. . .how beautiful! Will be eager to see your take on them!
Jo
All three are great examples of architecture of the past. The sky in the last one is very dramatic. Love it.
I like all three of these but I think the second one would make a great house to live in. I am already decorating it in my mind. The third picture is especially dramatic with the way the sky turned out. I see a coffee table book in your future.
They are all beautiful. I would love to see the people walking in and out of that Presbyterian church when it was new. What history!
You found some real treasures, Kathy! I love all three photos.
I know nothing about the Topaz filters. Hmmm. I need to investigate.
Wow, these are really special. I hope the two that are broken down get new life. It's a shame but so many old wood buildings are going by the wayside.
You DID hit the mother lode! Wow. What a terrific find for photos.
I like the first one too.
What wonderful churches, so different from ours. Fantastic shots too, love them all.
I'm sorry it's been a while since I went visiting to your blogs ---- Very nice to see these photos!
And I hope you're feeling better. :)
With time and money the first church could be turned into an unique residence or series of condos.
Wow, Beautiful architecture!
Just a quick comment to be followed by a long-overdo email. I am so sorry to read about your and your mother's difficulties. Very scary. Tracy and I were just wondering today how things were going for you. I'll be in touch.
Nancy aka Magpie
Kathy - these pictures are fantastic! I love old churches and you found some beauties. You captured some beautiful skies too!
Amazing!!!!
Post a Comment