Monday, July 15, 2013

Morris Mansion


Bastrop, Texas

I saw many beautiful Victorian houses on my trip through Central Texas.  This one in Bastrop was built in 1888 for B.D. Orgain, a prominent banker, attorney, and civic leader.  The house was designed by his wife, Drucilla Johnston Orgain, an assistant teacher at the Colorado Institute in Bastrop.  Intricate detailing and fishscale shingles complete the fashionable exterior.  The interior woodwork is pine, cherry, maghony, and walnut.  Today the Morris Mansion is a bed and breakfast in Bastrop's historic area.

12 comments:

Kate said...

What a fantastic house. And what a pleasure it must be to live in it. It is so beautiful!

biebkriebels said...

It looks beautiful, I would like to stay there.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

she is an amazing old lady... love her lots

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i LOVE how that one extension is on a 'corner' instead of squared! awesome!!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Wow, what a splendid house! I'd love to go exploring in this one.

Lisa Gordon said...

Kathy, this is gorgeous, and I'll bet it's equally gorgeous inside!

Judy said...

This makes a perfect B&B. It would be fun to stay in one of those rooms.

Sharon said...

That is a very impressive house and I think it makes a perfect Bed and Breakfast place.

Jeanne said...

Wow... I would love to see the inside of that house. So many have not been kept original.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like someone is lovingly keeping it in great condition!

A Colorful World said...

I am very "behind" with so many people. I apologize. I am glad your Mother is better from her life-threatening illness. The dementia is so difficult! My Dad died two and a half years ago from Alzheimers, and my hubby's Dad just died of a stroke but he also had dementia. When you asked about suggestions for help concerning dealing with your Mom I thought of my Mom immediately. She used to have a blog just about dealing with Alzheimers that was quite wonderful. I don't know if you can still access it. You might get on her regular blog and make contact, and I know she will give you suggestions of reading, etc. and other bloggers who blog about it (a sort of support group in itself) Her blog is Living Life on Main Street and you can access it from my sidebar. Gos bless you and your Mom as you go through this...I will keep you in my prayers!

Lovely church!

A Colorful World said...

Excuse me...I meant HOUSE! I was thinking about the post above this.