Another delightful little city I encountered on my road trip through central Texas was Elgin. Only 19 miles from Austin, it has a population of 8,000, although I wouldn't have thought it could top 2,000. It is part of the Austin metro complex, and the most popular bumper sticker in town reads "Enjoy Austin, live in Elgin."
The Texas legislature named Elgin as the Sausage Capital of Texas and four sausage companies still call Elgin home. It also has the moniker of Brick Capitol of the Southwest due to the presence of three brickyards during the mid-20th century, two of which are still in operation. The wide brick streets welcome its many visitors.
The Nofsinger House, now Elgin's City hall, was built in 1906 by Dr. I.B. Nofsinger and his wife Mary of red brick from one of the local kilns. Mary, a pharmacist, designed the Queen Anne style home.
The Elgin Post Office houses a lovely WPA mural painted in 1940 by artist Julius Woeltz. The post office is so tiny I had to stand at one end and look up to even focus my camera on this mural entitled "Texas Farm." It reminds me very much of the works of Depression-era artist Thomas Hart Benton.
The entry door to the Post Office is this stylized metal-fabricated eagle.




11 comments:
It seems that the city is pretty industrious! Great bumper sticker.
Beautiful mural. I live five minutes from a tiny community called Elgin.
love the turret and the eagle is gorgeous.
you always find cool things in cool spots. :)
Love the old brick building. You don't see many of those and it's great that the mural has been preserved.
I love turret rooms and that one is a dandy. There are so many beautiful things to see in these small old towns. sad that most people are in too much of a hurry to stop and look.
I love that house in your top photo and the mural is wonderful. This looks like a great little community.
Seems like a lot of things going on there for a town that has only 8,000 residents! Love their bumper sticker. :))
Love it all, Kathy, and especially the Eagle at the PO door!
Cheers,
Jo
I forgot to answer your question earlier. No, we aren't going to the Prescott Rodeo this year. We have been to so many and now they won't let anyone take pictures there. The ones I have been posting are from the Cowpunchers Reunion Rodeo in Williams. It isn't a professional rodeo, it's for ranch people and their families to compete in.
The bumper sticker is great! Your photos are, too!
Post a Comment