Sunday, July 14, 2013

Calvary Cemetery - Granger, Texas


Calvary Cemetery, a mile outside of Granger, is a Catholic Cemetery whose residents are primarily of Czech ancestry.  The land for the cemetery was donated by John and Eva Tobolka in 1893.

My research into angelic statuary in Texas cemeteries had told me there was a beautiful angel residing at Calvary, so that was the reason I searched the place out.  There was supposedly another angel located in a separate cemetery but I was unable to find it.  Many of the tombstones have inscriptions written in Czech and I was unable to read any of them since I was unfamiliar with even the alphabetic symbols which is a version of Latin script.  The blooming trees in both this and the previous photos are mimosa.


This is corn country and the cemetery was literally surrounded by corn fields on all four sides with the road actually bifurcating the property into two sections.


Backtracking my way returning to Granger, SS. Cyril and Methodius looks like it is directly across the road from this large corn silo and water tower, although the two are actually separated by quite some distance.

15 comments:

Randy said...

Love that angel.

Mari said...

Looks like a great cemetery to wander around. Love the angel!

TexWisGirl said...

(yay for bifurcating! - love that word, although i hate what it does to property)

:)

Ercotravels said...

Looking great cemetery. thanks for sharing.
To know about the one of the most and wonderful cemetery Taj Mahal. please visit.

Birdman said...

The camera will play tricks, if you let it.

EG CameraGirl said...

That's a handsome angel in excellent condition. Some of the tombstones look like they could be straightened...but maybe that would cost a lot and perhaps some people don't want them disturbed.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

very interesting sky line in the last one. the angel is really pretty... there are many angels in Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah that remind me of this one.

Kate said...

Interesting. . .we have a Calvary cemetery in St. Paul, Mn, too where all of my husband's relatives lie, and we inherited 4 plots for our family! I wanted to snap photos of cemetery angels as a theme but discovered that they're not that easy to find.

Sharon said...

Everything about these photos reminds me of Illinois.

Amy Burzese said...

Ok, learned a new word :). Telephoto lenses compress the scene. We're you zoomed in a lot?

Elizabeth Edwards said...

hi there. any time you share churches you are more than welcome to share them in our weekly blog hop at "Inspired Sunday" every Saturday at 6pm. http://inspiredsundaymeme.blogspot.com/

lovely shots. have a great week. ( :

Jo's World said...

AS lovely as the cemetery is, I would be lost because I love to read the names, the inscriptions, and the message. One of my favorites is Cade's Cove cemetery that gives a name and these words
Going Home!

Cheers,
Jo

Judy said...

I think these monuments were worth stopping to find. There is also a Calvary Cemetery in Quincy, Illinois, where my parents were laid to rest.

'Bifurcating' a good word rarely used. I had to look it up.

Anonymous said...

I'll say you did hit the mother lode! I love these old churches... great captures!

Unknown said...

The contrast in the bottom shot is fantastic! Well spotted, Kathy.