Thursday, January 3, 2013
Washboard Willie
Washboard Willie and his wife, Wishboard Wanda, can be seen at country festivals in Texas and Louisiana (and perhaps even more areas). Always drawing a crowd , this one-man band composed of Larry Hiskett was formerly a licensed landscape architect who became hooked on a somewhat zydeco-style of Cajun music, and while recovering from injuries in a motorcycle accident in 1987 he went into show business. Wanda is the perfect cheerleader for Willie but I unfortunately did not get a picture of her. The original Washboard Willie was William Paden Hensley from Columbus, Georgia, a Detroit blues musician who specialized in playing the washboard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Nice capture.
great shot, i just found him on youtube and listened to half a song.. get down willy
found wishboard wanda to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3JMfGWMFdE
i bet he's really good.
What fun! I remember hearing this music in St. Louis when I was working there. There is an area of the city that is full of Cajun restaurants and bars and I spent one Sunday evening listening to a band with a washboard player while I was dining;
I bet he has a ball entertaining!
Like this entry very much.
He is a very colorful fellow!
Talk about multi-tasking!!
I got a knot in my tounge from their names! I´m sure is pretty loud.
Post a Comment