The Ellis County Courthouse in Waxahachie (pronounced WAUCKS - AU - HATCH - EE) is believed to be the most photographed courthouse in the state. It was designed by the famous architect J. Reily Gordon and was constructed in 1897. It is similar in architecture to the courthouses located in Sulphur Springs (Hopkins County) and Decatur (Wise County).
The Romanesque Revival style building is constructed of gray and pink granite, red Pecos sandstone, and cream-colored sandstone. An $11 million renovation was completed in 2002. The renovation was so meticulous that the red sandstone needed for repairs was obtained from the same quarry which provided the sandstone for the original construction in 1897.
The Clock Tower
The Entrance
For some photos depicting what is behind those entrance doors, come back by tomorrow and I'll give you a peek.
About Ellis County and Waxahachie
Ellis County has a population of 150,000. Clyde Barrow, of Bonnie and Clyde fame, and Ernest Tubb, the country singer and songwriter, were both born in Ellis County.
Waxahachie has a population of 30,000 and is party of the greater Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex being located 30 miles south of Dallas. Several box-office movie hits have been filmed there, including Tender Mercies, Places in the Heart, and The Trip to Bountiful.





16 comments:
Such a beautiful, ornate courthouse!
Believe it or not, we've been to Waxahachie, and long-time friends of ours live there. Small world, as they say. :-)
Thanks for your visit and comment on my covered bridge. Hope you have a great weekend.
~Lindy
It's so grand and regal looking.
Oh my goodness! I can see why photographers are drawn to it! So many details to photograph! I would LOVE to visit it myself. :)
I can see why this is photographed so much! It is gorgeous. Never heard of pink granite before, very cool!
amazing building..wow. no wonder it is the most photographed. i could spend days snapping at it... love the door shot and the first one with that tiny balcony way up there
I can understand why it is so popular with photographers. Everything about it is very picturesque.
I can see why this would be a popular one to photograph. It is gorgeous. I'll be back tomorrow for a peek inside. By the way...I love the name Waxahachie.
very ornate in its design. the red sandstone reminds me of 'big red' in downtown dallas.
What a grand courthouse! I can see why it is the most photographed. I love the clock tower.
You have given us yet another magnificent building to look at. I love the shot of the door and can't wait to see what is behind it.
You have given us yet another magnificent building to look at. I love the shot of the door and can't wait to see what is behind it.
What a great looking building Kathy! You have captured it so well!
What a beautiful old building. I love the angle you used to capture it.
This is really exceptional, don't you think? Or maybe I have just not seen enough of TX courthouses.
You know I love all the History. I hope this is research for your book!
Cheers,
Jo
Another stately gorgeous Texas courthouse! Texas just has the best ones ever!
Oh Kathy this is again a very beautiful restaurated courthouse. And good that I had not to pronounce it by myself :-)
Post a Comment