Saturday, October 27, 2012

The City Goat


This is a very poor photo but perhaps the story will make up for it.

Earlier this year when I visited my daughter and grandson in Phoenix I noticed that one of her neighbors seemed to have a very strange looking dog; in fact, it looked very much like a goat.  Now, mind you, my eyesight is quite poor and I had only seen this creature from across the street but I'm pretty good at naming dog breeds and this was one for the books.  So that evening when she came home from work I mentioned my confusion about this strange "mixed breed."  She said, "It is a goat."  It seems that in the fifth (or sixth, depending on which website you look at) largest city in the country right near one of the metropolis' most popular shopping malls, there is indeed someone who keeps a domestic farm animal at their home, and on this latest trip, I did manage to catch a couple of furtive shots of said dog, aka pet goat, with my little point-and-shoot.  I don't think they milk him because with those horns I'm pretty sure it's a ram so it seems that his main mission in life is to keep the grass trimmed.  And in that regard, he does a bang-up job.  He may have butted the garage door a time or two but the grass is usually pretty evenly clipped, saving, in my estimation  somewhere between $100 to $150 a month in lawn fees.  You will notice that he wears a collar which is attached to a leash, which is, upon blow-up of the pics I took, attached to a cord which went to the outer perimeter of the photo, and I can only presume that it ends somewhere under a fence and in the back yard.  Further investigation reveals that the tips of his horns are encased with something very much like duct tape so I guess his owners are aware of a possible safety hazard in keeping a ram on their property.

Ain't life fun!

17 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Good grief. He looks mad at you.

Kate said...

A novel way to save a few bucks on lawn service!

Beth said...

WOW!!

Anonymous said...

Wow sort of sad looking that mixed breed picture you took. I would wonder like you. Thanks for sharing though.

Why do people do that I am sorry but not in fav of mixed breeds.

TexWisGirl said...

i'd say that is a win-win. :)

Jo's World said...

If I thought he would eat dried, fallen leaves, I would send for him pronto!

Handsome guy!

Cheers,
Jo

Judy said...

You never know what you might see in Phoenix! That is a good way to keep a nice trim lawn. Of course trees and bushes would also be on the menu not to mention flowers. It looks like one of those special little goats that have become popular. The only thing I know about goats is that the males produce a horrible musk smell that can be detected for miles around. I don't know if this kind does that or not.
I lived on 19th Ave close to Glendale Ave in the 1970's and I kept two horsse on the property.

Sharon said...

I bet he's a very quiet lawn mower!

EG CameraGirl said...

Now that's an unusual pet for sure!

A Colorful World said...

Very funny! :-)

Paula said...

Some people right up the street from us keep some goats here in town. Guess they are covered by the Grandfather Clause.

The Cranky said...

Lawn mower and fertiliser in one go...and if it is a ram, an excellent watch dog as well!

Randy said...

I wonder if he lets the country goats visit.

Mari said...

I like your story about him. How unusual to see a city goat!

Magpie said...

This story is quintessential Kathy for me! I laughed when you told us this story on our walk on Saturday. Not laughing at you, but enjoying your ability to laugh at yourself and not take life too seriously. You are a hoot and so much fun to be with. I have yet to slip your "blossomed woman" line into a conversation, but you have to know I'm looking for an opportunity. I miss you already. :)

Pia said...

Do better not mess with this special breed :-)
What do you think Kathy, wouldn't that be a fine solution to keep your garden trimmed?

Anonymous said...

Haha! He's probably mad that you called him a dog.