Monday, October 29, 2012

Hayden Flour Mill Part 2


Constructed in 1918, the current Hayden Flour Mill building 
is the oldest cast-in-place concrete building in Tempe, AZ.  
The original mill was constructed in 1874 on the banks of the Salt River 
but it was destroyed by fire and replaced in 1895.  
That building was also lost to fire and the current structure was designed to be fire-proof.  
Techniques developed after the great San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906 
were incorporated into the design.  
(The silos were not constructed until the 1950s.)


The mill processed and marketed grain, cotton, fruit, vegetables, and dairy products.  
It purchased most of the grains grown in Central Arizona and milled many of Arizona's best known flours:  Sifted Snow, Arizona Rose, and Family Kitchen.


Milling operations were stopped in 1998.  
The vacant and decaying building was eventually purchased by the City of Tempe.  
It sits a mere two blocks north of the giant ASU campus.


A public event space has been created on the grounds of the mill 
and a grand opening was held in early October.  
A stage and concert lawn accommodating up to 250 people have been constructed 
and there is a small grove of trees providing a shady place for picnics
in a park-like atmosphere near the building.  
The City continues searching for a development partner to preserve the historic structure.  
A decision was made not to repaint the silos and the building 
because the iconic Family Kitchen sign would have been destroyed.


Tempe's most famous ghost sign.


Visitors are permitted to look through ground floor windows 
to see some of the mill's historic equipment and other artifacts.  
This old safe, probably used to stash the payroll, is easily visible from one of the open windows.


In this photograph you can see an old bulletin board, the slots for time cards, 
and perhaps what is a suggestion box.
Maybe this was the employee lounge.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

These are great photos. I had no idea that you could get this close to the place and that there was any work being done around it. So glad to hear that. Thanks for these photos and the info.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

hope they find a partner to preserve it. very interesting place and i love the sign they saved.

Kate said...

Not only historic but a very important building for the welfare of the community.

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope this is converted into something arty. It's a wonderful old building.

Lisa Gordon said...

This is a wonderful old building, Kathy.
It must have been great fun to photograph it.

Beth said...

All great photos and very interesting history!

Amy Burzese said...

Very cool. That old safe is wonderful. I wish I had the guts to go into some old and abandoned buildings like some do to photograph. If you took these through windows, you did great.

TexWisGirl said...

i'm glad they're preserving it, but kind of sad to see it age and rot unused, too.

Judy said...

I have enjoyed seeing your up close shots of the place. It will be interesting to see what will become of the place in the future.

Magpie said...

I hope Tempe finds a development partner soon. You know the coolest stuff. Love the ghost sign!

Randy said...

I love the old painted sign.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a great building. I hope they find a way to preserve it. I love the old Family Kitchen sign and the old safe.

Suburban Girl said...

OMgoodness, my heart pitters and patters seeing these photos.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos. As beautiful and interesting as the mill is, I never get tired of the blue Arizona sky!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info and terrific close ups of them all.