Saturday, June 30, 2012
Wood County Courthouse - No. 17 (Texas)
I continue my quest to photograph the most beautiful courthouses in Texas. That number is a minimum of 78 but could go up to 91, since there are 13 that I consider just so-so. The Wood County Courthouse in Quitman was one of those that I considered so-so after looking at the pictures of all 254 courthouses online, but I happened to be in the area on a recent roadtrip and found the building to actually be quite beautiful. It was constructed in 1925 in a classical revival style. It is the fourth courthouse for Wood County and I only must presume that the first three (1851, 1854, and 1883) were probably consumed by fire, the fate of most early courthouses prior to the 20th century. This is my 17th Texas Courthouse to photograph, and I am attempting to find photographs of the prior 16 and arrange them in some sort of chronological order so they will all appear in the Courthouses tag.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
What a neat project, Kathy, and this one is a beauty!
That is awesome.
Nice one- this is a huge project, for a huge state!
i am really enjoying your hunt for theses beautiful old courthouses. i am wondering if there are any modern ones in Texas, like ours here, our old courthouse is there, but they built the ugliest one i have ever seen next to it. not even modern pretty but modern ugly.
I am enjoying this series and think it's a great idea to tag them so anyone who wants to can see all that you've posted.
How interesting that you didn't think this was an attractive courthouse from the photo you saw online. It just goes to show how powerful a good photo can be. :)
Nice shot through the trees with the flags! I like the red block that they used.
Very nice pictures of an important community building. I love this series, very interesting!
Cheers,
Jo
This theme of your is very ambitious, Kathy, but certainly worthwhile...lovely building with strong columns.
I like this one too! I like the combination of brick and white pillars.
What a beautiful building. And great photos.
I love this series. It's so unique and I always learn something!
Such grand buildings and something very dear to your heart. I'm off to check out the courthouse tag and see if you were successful. (Like you wouldn't be.)
Post a Comment