Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Tomato Thief


I've been seeing a few of my tomatoes laying around in the yard in the early mornings.  A few days ago I found one half-eaten laying next to a plant.  One day I had tossed a bad one over the fence into the pasture and the next day I found it back in the yard.  I had my suspicions it was probably Shirley Squirrel or her lover Sammy that was the culprit.


Yep, suspicions confirmed when in broad daylight here is Shirley carrying around a ripe tomato.  She would stick her head down into the juicy pulp and eat and eat.  I took all these photos through a window because I knew if I opened the door she would just scamper away.


And now for a great big bite!


Uh-oh, there's that freaky camera lady.  Time to get outta Dodge!

20 comments:

Randy said...

These are wonderful. I love squirrels.

Sharon said...

Shirley made be cute but, she is certainly a thief! I love that shot of her leaping away with the tomato in her mouth.

Anonymous said...

I suppose being upset with them is out of the question due to their cuteness. :)

TexWisGirl said...

these are so cute!!! :) made me laugh!

Michelle said...

Haha...that shot of the Shirley bolting out of your yard is so funny.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Love the last shot especially.

Magpie said...

Thief! Thief! She sure isn't letting go of that tomato. :)

trump said...

Lol very cute. Richard

Paula said...

Squirrel isn't about to put that tomato down and run. Hope they leave some for you.

Judy said...

Squirrels are always into something. These are cute pictures, especially the one with all the feet off the ground.

Kate said...

Wonderful medley of photos and commentary, too. You sound very tolerant of squirrels as is my husband. Me? Not so much; they're pesky little varmints in my estimation.

EG CameraGirl said...

BUSTED! (But it will be back.)

Amy Burzese said...

That is so cute. I know squirrels are annoying, but I still like them.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

ours do the same thing, i saw one run up the grapefruit tree carrying a grapefruit 4 times bigger than he was. and they eat any and every fruit in our yard, they love avocado and take two bites out of each one.

BlueShell said...

Oh...he's so cute and fluffy....
Have a wonderful weekend,
BShell

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh no, he's so sweet!!!
Kathy, that last shot is amazing.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

We've had chickens eating our tomatoes before- I never thought about the squirrels!

eileeninmd said...

Great shots! I never knew squirrels liked tomatoes. Happy Sunday!

Pia said...

Oh Kathy,
I´m so sorry for your tomatos.... but thats a cool series of photos. Observing your squirrels is better than any tv program!
Liebe Grüße,
Pia

Suburban Girl said...

Great photos. I never saw a squirrel eat a tomato before!