Saturday, June 9, 2012
Sabine County Courthouse (Texas No. 3)
To my way of thinking, the Sabine County Courthouse in Hemphill, Texas, is one of Texas' most beautiful. I think the sweeping front steps leading to the second floor entrance is rather grand, even though the steps look like they could use a good scrubbing. The courthouse was built in 1906. A fire destroyed the building's dome and clock tower in 1909 and they were never replaced. The Beaux Arts structure was remodeled in 1938 by the WPA. Bordering Sabine County to the east is Sabine County, Louisiana. The Sabine River serves as the border between Texas and Louisiana.
P.S. I had to take a bit of a break from blogging this past week. The evening before my soon-to-be 91-year-old mother was scheduled for a pacemaker replacement, she tripped over the dog, landed on top of him, and he bit her arm. So after the pacemaker procedure she was admitted to the hospital for a few days of IV antibiotics since animal puncture wounds can quickly lead to a very deadly infection. They are both (mother and dog) doing better now and I hope to visit all my blogging buddies within the next couple of days to get back on track.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
It does look like a handsome building. I like the red brick.
So sorry to hear about the accident but glad everyone is getting better. I was wondering what had kept you from the blog.
You have included two interesting and compelling stories with this post. First, the building architecture is very grand indeed. And, second of all, I'm happy for you that the pacemaker and accident episodes have turned out okay. Lots to worry about, Kathy. Hope that YOU are doing fine!
so sorry to hear about your mother, poor mom and poor dog and poor you. I am thinking falling on the dog might have prevented broken bones. i do hope she is better today. lovely old courthouse and very similar to our old one here that we were married in. our steps are straight, not curved. which dog did she fall on?
So glad to hear that mother and dog are doing fine!
Those stairs add just the right grandeur to the building.
before i even read your description, i was going to comment that i think those sweeping steps are wonderful! great shot. (and glad both mom and dog are better!)
Beautiful building! Best wishes to your Mum and Pup for getting over this experience!
Cheers,
Jo, Stella and Zkhat, who all missed you.
So sorry to hear about your mother's accident!
I agree your court house image is quite pretty! My Dad made a point to visit every county in Ohio and take pictures of the court houses. It took quite a few years to get them all on weekends and vacations. Such fun.
You are the queen of finding beautiful buildings - this is another good one!
Sorry to hear about your Mom, but glad she is doing well!
Stately and classic!
Wonderful structure, Kathy. I trust your mom is doing better! xoxo
That sure is a grand entrance!
Oh dear! That was more of an adventure than either you or your mother needed. I'm glad the dog is all right too.
The staircase is very grand and as you say, needs a good cleaning. It is a very elegant building.
Post a Comment