Friday, June 15, 2012

Randomicity at the Flea Market

 If you're familiar with this blog you know I'm a big fan of the Canton Trade Days, touted by some to be the largest flea market in the world.  This time of the year it's just too hot to walk around outside for untold hours so my friends and I forego the summer months.  It's an absolutely boon for candid pictures.  You see Southern belles and hillbillies, the outrageous and the sublime, animals galore, and just about every kind of junk you could imagine, along with flowers, crafts, some valid antiques, and many useful objects and many more  that have no use whatsoever and you ponder why anyone would spend their money on such a thing.  So today I bring you a sampling of Canton Trade Days photos from this past year and tell you I'll be going back in September or October when the temperatures cool below 90 and the humidity drops below 95.  I've stolen the word "randomocity" from both Magpie of In Over My Head and TexWis Girl of  the Run "A" Around Ranch Report.   (I think they're the ones who have used it.)


Canton Studs (old guys trying to look sexy)


Overloaded shopper


Companions

  
I think we parked the car behind this store.  Or was it further down the street?



Garden plants and yard art are plentiful in the spring.


Jaywalking is allowed.


Chicken man, turkey man, duck man.  He's the man!


A variety of fashions


Segue to a Segway


A good day to walk with your honey


Tent dilemma


Keeping everyone safe


A Southern belle


Daddy's girl

Hope you've enjoyed this little synopsis of Canton Trade Days.  Tomorrow I'm heading east into Louisiana to visit a chimpanzee sanctuary.  Wish me happy photographing.  This place is so buried in Cajun country I can't even find the roads to get there on a Louisiana road map, much less a AAA Atlas or even online maps.  If I'm not here tomorrow night, send out a search party!  If I make it back I'll hopefully have some great photos!  I'm just hoping I'll get to see some of these guys who are our cousins up close and personal!

16 comments:

Kate said...

What a terrific collection of photos! By viewing them I have a good idea of the eclectic nature of the flea market. The impulse to visit and examine items in a flea market seems to be a universal one.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

they are all super shots. I love the dog butt and the wheel chair, the little girl and wonder why the woman is cluching her skirt around her.

Sharon said...

Love these shots! Safe travels into Cajun country!

Judy said...

People watching is a nice pass time! Have fun with the chimps. Can't wait to see what you bring us.

TexWisGirl said...

i always love your shots of canton. i really need to plan to go there again (in fall!)

as for the studs trying to look sexy, i'd say 2 of them pulled it off. :) and i think southern belle is from dallas - definitely. :)

TexWisGirl said...

oh, and yes, randomocity is one of my words. :)

Randy said...

I would need to come with a big truck.

Wise Hearted said...

I love your pictures, your captions...the subject you chose...yeah, I will be back for more...Blessings

Lois Evensen said...

Those are some very serious shoppers! Great series. That was fun to go along. :)

Paula said...

Laughing @ the men trying to look sexy. Great pictures! One of my daughters has gone to Canton several times but I've never made it there. Did go to an all night flea market in Illinois once with the same daughter.

Jo's World said...

This comes under the heading All Walks of Life!

We'll be worried about you until we know you are home. But have fun with your monkey-lookin'in Cajun country.

Cheers,
Jo

EG CameraGirl said...

The candid photos make me feel like I am right there with you. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back till the temperature goes down!

Magpie said...

What a nice slice of life at the flea market. I would definitely be picking up lots of yard art and flowers.

Reena said...

What a fun day! I always love your photos ... just perfect!

Suburban Girl said...

Now THAT'S a flea market...not like the dinky little things around here.

Unknown said...

Great shots! Looks like it was a fun day out!