Saturday, June 16, 2012

Chimp Haven

Today I traveled over into Louisiana to visit Chimp Haven, a chimpanzee sanctuary.  Well, I made it back home safely, but the journey was not an easy one.  A matter of forgetfulness on my part came close to causing the trip to be a disaster but I recovered, only to encounter more pitfalls.  But after being an hour late I finally found the sanctuary deep in the forest (and I was not the only one to wander around looking for this elusive place).  It was a long and tiring day but I'm about a 7 on a 1-to-10 scale of happiness with the photography experience.  Here are a few samples of the pictures I took, and tomorrow, after a well-needed rest, I'll bring you my story, the story of Chimp Haven, and some more photos.  So please come back!


To start off with, Chimp Haven is a sanctuary for chimpanzees who spent most of their lives in research laboratories.  Therefore it is a geriatric community, but two births have occurred there since its founding and another female chimp is pregnant at the present time.  Some of the male chimps in this facility have actually undergone more than one vasectomy surgery and females are now placed on birth control and are given periodic pregnancy tests.  Chimp Haven is NOT a breeding facility.  Chimps should live and breed in the wild, not in zoos or places where humans have devised for them.  Another consideration against the breeding of chimpanzees:  Any baby born at Chimp Haven becomes the responsibility of the sanctuary.  The costs to care for a chimp in this sanctuary is between twelve to fifteen thousand dollars per year.  It is estimated that a chimpanzee baby born today would live 60 years.


This fellow gave me my best photo ops.  When I first discovered him resting in the shade, he had his back to the spectators looking across the moat into the island.  He eventually turned around and gave some wonderful photos.  Most of the chimps in this sanctuary spent the better part of their lives being biopsied, infected with the HIV virus and who knows what other ungodly research, supposedly in the name of medical science.  They can now live out the remainder of their lives in a natural habitat with plenty of food, medical care, and love.


Relaxing by the lake on a warm summer day.  Just takin' it easy.


This guy (or lady?) was my second best photo op of the day.  During a food toss off the roof of the chimp habitat, he/she collected an apple and an orange and found great relish in both..

16 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

These are nice photos indeed, Kathy! So geriatric chimps can still have babies? And they can live to be 60? Hmmm.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i would drive to see these guys to. can't wait to hear the near disaster story. glad you are home safe. i love the head on the crossed feet best, but all of them make me smile. the joy of the apple eater is wonderful. glad they have some place to live now that is free from torture

MadSnapper n Beau said...

i would drive to see these guys to. can't wait to hear the near disaster story. glad you are home safe. i love the head on the crossed feet best, but all of them make me smile. the joy of the apple eater is wonderful. glad they have some place to live now that is free from torture

Kate said...

Kathy, You got some truly great shots! The trip and the "near disaster" (whatever it was) obviously was worth it. Is there gray on their muzzles indicative of their age or is it natural coloring. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it's a sign of their age. It looks almost like they're posing for you. I really like all the photos...no favorites.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What an interesting place. Glad that it exists! Great photos.

Amy Burzese said...

A great story! Glad you made the trip in spite of the challenges. Thanks for sharing these guys and gals.

Judy said...

Oh Kathy! You talk about getting a bit teary eyed...this is such a touching story and the pictures are just wonderful. I will be anxious to hear more about your trip and this place tomorrow.

TexWisGirl said...

so glad you made it safely there and back! yikes!

these are wonderful. that 2nd to last photo just makes your heart bleed for the testing these animals undergo - for the sake of us undeserving humans.

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

As you made it home, the mishap was at least not tragic. These shots show that the trip was absolutely worth it. The expressions, and body mannerisms you have captured are just divine. Wonderful wonderful captures.

Sharon said...

It makes me feel sad and happy at the same time. These photos are fantastic. I'm especial fond of the third one. Such a look of contemplation.

Jo's World said...

The third and fourth pictures are wonderful, the relaxed chimp and then the one who found some goodies!

Do the research organizations pay for this haven? I certainly hope they do!

Cheers,
Jo

Paula said...

Great pictures and I'm happy you made it home safely. My husband worked at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio and the sister organization across the way had plenty of these little guys there. Of course he didn't have anything to do with the research just worked on the air conditions and such. He had a funny experience his first day there repairing the a/c where they were working on one of the chimps.

Anonymous said...

Ah great photos! So nice that places like that it exist.

Magpie said...

I'm glad you braved the trip and shared your shots with us. I love the fellow relaxing.

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh my goodness, I would love to visit here.
There is so much personality in those faces, and you have captured that beautifully, Kathy!

I hope your week has gotten off to a great start!

Pia said...

Oh Kathy what happened? Good you made it home safe!
The photos are wonderful but they make me sad.

Liebe Grüße,
Pia