Now to more interesting things!
I was extremely dismayed a couple weeks ago to be informed that Google was discontinuing the Picnik photo editing website which it acquired some months back. Once again, Google is causing headaches out there in photoland! I had become very comfortable with Picnik and believed it made my photos much better. I have Photoshop Elements but for some reason I have been unable or unwilling to learn how to adequately use it. I had been turned on to a Topaz plug-in (which is compatible with Photoshop and other programs) called Adjust, but it's certainly not for every photo.
So after looking around on line at various recommendations I have finally settled on a site called iPiccy.com. It's the closest thing I've found to Picnik thus far. Some additions have been made since the announcement of Picnik's upcoming demise to make it even more like Picnik. At the present time you don't even need to register to use it and it's free, but it is a beta site and after reading the terms of use where it talks about subscription costs I am surmising that once the beta testing period is over it will probably become a subscription service like Picnik. The price mentioned for the premium package was the same as Picnik's (annual cost of around $25). Here are some samples of before and after photos which I edited in iPiccy.
Before
After
iPiccy offers exposure correction, hue and saturation, sharpen, et cetera, and the features I particularly like are the local contrast and the shadow enhancement. They have a text area although the font selections are minimal. That's okay for me but I know others like adding text to their photos. They offer a number of special effects and a collage tool. As yet they do not have a mechanism for implementing curves or levels.
Before
After
I was disappointed in the black and white option offered by Photoshop and was prepared to spend $50 on a Topaz product to be able to continue to process my photos in black and white. iPiccy's black and white tool is exactly like Picnik's, allowing you to add multiple color filters to the black and white program to make your black and whites pop.
A pretty sad before picture
but now it's a stunning black and white or ....
... a vibrant colorful photo!





17 comments:
These are great. I love the b&w shot.
A lot of good info here! Thanks.
Excellent:-)
Looks like you're having fun with your photos. Great job, Kathy. We all just have to adjust, I guess.
really nice! i saw another blogger talk about this program as a good alternative for picnik. i've not used picnik at all, and just recently tried picasa (haven't done much with it yet). but it seemed pretty easy for a non-editor savvy sort like myself.
Thank you, Kathy, for the info to help me get rid of the word verification. I had to revert to the old format to find it though which I thought was odd.
I got rid of word verification yesterday. There were too many complaints I was reading on line. That and Judy asked me were it was located and I had to go there to find it for her. I like what you've done with these photos. The tool you are using sounds very much like the standard photo editing tool that came with my Mac. I've been surprised at how much I use the Mac tool for editing. It's been great.
You are just full of good info today. Thanks especially for sending me to TexWis's blog for very good info on dumping the word verification thing. All of the Google people must be kids with 20/20 vision!
Your photos are wonderful! Both the flowers and the herons(?) were such a huge improvement.
Thanks for all and cheers!
Jo, Stella and Zkhat
Jo's World
Beautiful series of images!
think I may investigate this new site, your b&w's were amazing, such clarity. I removed that pain in the a_ _ verification process a while back.
Very nice! I'm glad you found something else you like, you rebel rouser. :-)
Thank you for all the info today Kathy and I have enjoyed your photos. I don't use word verification and rarely does a bit of spam get through, but I'm interested in TexWisgirl's post to see if she has additional information that I can use. Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Both birds and flower shots are wonderful! Great timing on the bottom captures.
I've given up on verification words on my blogs too... and got 10 (long) spam comments in just two days! Glad moderation is still enable.
You made me smile with your saturday commenting thing! :-)))
Thanks for this informative blog which I would have missed if you hadn't left a comment on my road trip. How fun that you just read about the Tehachapi mountains and there they were in my post! Life is funny, isn't it. I got rid of word verification about a year ago and I haven't had any problems. However, all Anonymous comments go into a Spam box that rarely contains valid comments. I will check out TexWisGirl's post to see how to get rid of that as well. Thanks so much, Kathy.
Sweetness!
I didn't know that about Picnik. You are the news girl! And those new Captchas are wickedly hard to read. Why!? I agree with you on that one.
Hi Kathy...what a wonderful post...thanks for mentioning iPiccy.com as I've never heard of it!
I love what you did with your black and white photo's ...what a difference it made. I'll be sure to check that out this evening :)
Maura :)
Post a Comment