Friday, September 23, 2011

The House on Sycamore Street


Photographed at Rusk, Texas

Many small towns in East Texas have fortunately preserved the small mosaic tile street name designations along the curbs in their downtown areas and older neighborhoods.  Who wouldn't want to live in this beautiful Southern plantation style home on Sycamore Street!  Rusk is a quaint little town 50 miles west of where I live.  Having a population of approximately 5,000, it is the home to the Texas State Railroad (which still operates a ride on a steam engine through the pine forests of East Texas as well as the longest footbridge in the nation, which was originally constructed in 1861.

12 comments:

Randy said...

The tile is nice but that house is just amazing!

Jill said...

What an amazing home! I do love the tiles announcing the street name too.

TexWisGirl said...

what a grand old home!!!

Magpie said...

Oh, my goodness! What a house too. It's gorgeous and I love the tile street names. I have always loved the word "sycamore". There's just something about it...it's fun to say or it evokes autumn memories...maybe my cheese is beginning to slip off my cracker. :)

Deanna said...

Lovely, lovely home. Looks like it is well maintained and those street names bring back memories of earlier times. And I too like the name Sycamore, it rolls off the tongue easy and my daughter and her famiy live in a town called Sycamore.

Anonymous said...

I know I would love to live there!

Mari said...

What a gorgeous place! I love that tile too.

Sharon said...

Wow, gorgeous. My home town of Quincy Illinois had those same type of street signs made of tiny tiles. I love those.

EG CameraGirl said...

Nice house!

Sharon Creech said...

What an great house - but I esp. love the tiled street name on the curb.

Lara said...

The house is stunning - would love to see the inside - but I agree. The tile street name is very lovely.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Stunning, I agree. I'd love to walk in...