Monday, March 21, 2011

Pines Theater ~ Lufkin, Texas

The Pines Theater in Lufkin opened in 1925.  I don't know when it closed but it sat vacant for a number of years and was eventually severely damaged, supposedly being hit by a tractor/trailer rig delivering goods in the early morning hours to a neighboring business (evidently no one ever fessed up to the feat).  A sad state of disrepair led many to believe it would eventually deteriorate to the point that it would be required to be demolished, but in 2008 the City of Lufkin purchased it and dedicated a half million dollars (one-third of the anticipated cost) toward renovation back to its original state.  Today it is obviously being used as a conference center and vintage movies are currently being shown.  I have seen nighttime photos and it is really spectacular when the neon lights are turned on.  The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.



Even the ticket counter is all shiny, spiffy, and new.




I believe the movie posters to be original.  They all look a little worse for the wear and this one of The Seven Year Itch has evidence of water damage.

11 comments:

Randy said...

What a beauty! Is that Singing in the Rain out front. We just bought that yesterday. The Seven Year Itch is one of my favorite movies.

Mari said...

It's like stepping back in time!

tracy said...

Boy this is fabulous. I think it would be fun to go see a movie there. You are going to have to let us see it lit up, you know.

Magpie said...

What a fun place to see a movie. You know Tracy is right...we need to see the lights on. :)

Judy said...

The last time I was in my home town in Illinois, the old theater had been restored and was about to have it's grand opening.
Here in Prescott, the Elks Theater has been recently restored and is in use.
This is a great find and I'm glad to see that these nostalgic places are being cared for. I love the bright colors.

EG CameraGirl said...

How wonderful that the building lives on!

Sharon said...

Fantastic old theatre. I see my sister (Jarart) mentioned the theatre in our home town in Illinois. I was thinking about the same thing. It sat empty for many years and in 2009 it was being restored and was looking great.

Suburban Girl said...

Hooray for restoration!

Kelly L said...

I would love to see something like this here.. Love old theaters... It's beautiful!
Love to you
Kelly
I've Become My Mother
Kelly's Ideas
Amazing Salvation

Michelle said...

Neat.

Lara said...

I love vintage theaters! These are great!