Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dogwoods, Dogwoods, Dogwoods

It's dogwood season in East Texas and it's all I want to shoot these days.  Yesterday my mom and I went to visit my cousin Ray Nell who lives about 20 minutes away but as the crow flies it's only about four miles.  She has a beautiful yard and it's fun to visit all times of the year.  This winter she had 18 (that's 17 plus 1) camellia bushes in bloom!  But yesterday the trip was specifically to see the dogwoods.


This is one of about 20 dogwood trees in Ray Nell's back yard or at least visible in the woods behind her yard.  They are such stunning trees when they're in bloom.  There is nothing like them.



She actually had a few camellias still in bloom and I thought this dogwood branch looked especially lovely hanging in front of red camellias.



I love how the dogwood blossoms look when you look up at them from underneath.



Aren't they beautiful?  Mom says she's tried many times to cultivate a dogwood tree but has failed.  Maybe now that I'm here between the two of us we can get one to grow.  Our eyes have spotted a small one with a nice shape in the woods that shouldn't be too hard to dig up and transplant.  If it will just ever rain so the ground isn't so hard.  However, I have discovered in the forest there is so much natural mulch and compost it usually isn't too difficult to dig something out of the ground and the soil under all that decaying matter is very soft.  I'll keep you posted as to our progress and maybe this time next year we'll have our own dogwood for me to photograph!

10 comments:

Randy said...

I have heard of these but I have never seen one. It's so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, I sure was close to your neck of the woods! The dogwoods are lovely. I bet you have a lot of wysteria, too!

EG CameraGirl said...

Very lovely blossoms, Kathy.

I've read that white dogwoods (cornus florida) growing in forests are threatened because of a fungus that entered North America (actually the U.S.) on foreign plants. By transplanting the dogwood you may actually help save that tree because the fungus doesn't appear to affect dogwoods grown in the open.

Michelle said...

Beautiful dogwood photos, Kathy. I love those trees. We used to have one, but it fell in a storm. I really miss it. Good luck with your transplanting. I hope it's a success!

Magpie said...

I had one of these in my yard in Ohio and loved it dearly. These are gorgeous pictures! Truly. Isn't there a religious story that goes with the dogwood blossom. Something to do with Easter. I can't remember it. Would you mind if I used the last shot for my wallpaper?

Judy said...

Oh my gosh! I love dogwoods. We don't have them here but when I was a kid in Illinois, my grandmother had one in her yard that she was very proud of. I have many pictures of her standing by the blooms.

Mari said...

I love dogwoods. The flowers are so pretty and I love their lacy look. We got one to grow in the back of our yard. My hubby says they grow best at the edge of woods - not in the sun, but not tucked into the shade either. That worked for us!

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes what a fun Spring you must be havin'. You should post something and call it Dogwood and Blondie. :-)

Lara said...

They are beautiful! And so are these pictures!

Suburban Girl said...

Oh double sigh...I can't wait for spring up here.