Sunday, October 3, 2010
One Stone at a Time
I am intrigued by this rock wall I discovered one day while just driving around an older neighborhood looking for a photo op. It goes around three sides of the owner's property and was spectacularly planned and built. Do you think they laid all the rocks out and planned the pattern first or just aimlessly fitted them into the mosaic as work progressed? They all seem strategically placed and the different shapes, textures, sizes, and colors of the rock lend the wall a great character. Even the stone at the top center bearing what may be graffiti adds to the overall tone. It appears that the wall has suffered some deterioration and the owner has erected a steel frame to help hold it up in its old age. Before it falls, perhaps someone will take it down, stone by stone, number them all carefully, and reassemble them with fresh strong mortar, much like was done when London Bridge was transported from Arizona to Lake Havasu, Arizona.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
It really is a pretty wall. Even with the reinforcements, it looks good!
This one looks like it was carefully laid out. I hope it survives. It's lovely.
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I love this wall. It's beautiful!
Interesting. I bet you'll find out the history of it one of these days. It would be a great backdrop for a portrait.
It's a pretty wall. My husband made a much, much smaller wall and I can tell you it was randomly chosen, though if it didn't fit at all he'd try another. It takes a long, long time!
very nice wall, love the different colours, shapes and sizes.
Post a Comment