Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Old Nacogdoches University Building ~ 363/365
Nacogdoches University was chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845. Classes were held in various downtown buildings until this facilty was completed in 1859. During the Civil War the building served as a Confederate hospital and later as headquarters for a federal regiment during Reconstruction. In 1904 it was deeded to the Nacogdoches School District. It has been restored to its original grandeur and is now available for community functions and houses a small museum dedicated to education in the city of Nacogdoches.
The construction of the building cost $10,500. It features common bond red brick made on site, a prominent portico composed of massive Doric-style columns on plinth blocks. It is a very fine example of Greek revival classicism of the early to mid-19th Century.
NOTES AND COMMENTS: Tomorrow after I've posted the last two pictures of the 365 project, I'll try to post a couple of pictures of the Victorian home that has the horse- head figures at its front gate. Sharon of Phoenix Daily Photos tells me that those large rings were for hitching horses up to the gate when visitors came a'callin'. Thanks, Sharon. That makes perfect sense to me!
Marilyn of Wheelchair Gardener in Mobile, AL, tells me she's eaten a boatload of crowder peas and absolutely loves them. You won't find too many people outside the South who have ever even heard of them. We Southerners giggle when others describe peas as round green things. (Those are English peas to us.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Beautiful. Looks a lot like a church. I guess in a way it is - a place of worship to learning. $10,500. Woo-eee!
Love the Doric-style columns in front. The building looks very nice.
Wow! What a massive portico on this building.
I love how it just reaches out and draws you in.
Don't you just love to say Nacogdoches??
I confess I have never heard of crowder peas. :)
Post a Comment