Thursday, August 6, 2015

Gunfight at the Lampasas Saloon


The historic Lampasas Courthouse is surrounded by a beautiful sturdy wrought-iron fence.  There are several historic markers on the grounds of the courthouse and in the courthouse square.  The one pictured here reminds Lampasas citizens of the its rough and lawless history.  In the 1870s this frontier town was a mecca of outlaws, brothels and ne-er do wells.  Many murders happened in the county during those early days and one of Texas' most famous feuds was being played out between the Horrell and the Higgins gangs, having been started over an accusation of cattle rustling.  Eventually the fight resulted in the death of four law enforcement officers when a gunbattle broke out in one of the saloons on the courthouse square.  The Horrell gang hightailed it to New Mexico but returned the following year.  In 1876 the brothers stood trial for the murder of the police officers and were actually found not guilty.  I wonder if fear was one of the reasons for the verdicts.

Joining the other good folks who love fences and gates at Good Fences hosted by our friend, TexWis.  Click on the link and see what amazing fences are being offered today.

24 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a pretty building and fence. Great story and history! Thanks for sharing, enjoy your day!

EG CameraGirl said...

I do love wrought-iron fences! It sure doesn't look like outlaw territory now, the kind seen in the old westerns anyhow.

Birdman said...

Sometimes even the bad guys win.

Jutta.K. said...

A impressiv building and a impressiv fence, a good shot !

Here are my contribution to Good Fences
Greetings from Germany

TexWisGirl said...

yup, that's a nice wrought iron! :) guess that was sort of like a mob trial back in the day - afraid to convict because there might be repercussions.

Suburban Girl said...

THis story should be made into a movie!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

now i am wondering if 200 years from now, people will show old theaters and title them gunfights at the theaters.... we are fast regressing to the same lawlessness this building saw...

LV said...

Definitely a fence stating keep out.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

That's a nice fence and an interesting history!

Ida said...

Very nice wrought iron fencing. It was quite interesting to read about this gun fight. To bad they weren't found guilty though.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

thanks for the history story adn that is a lovely building

Paula said...

Interesting entry full of history.

Sharon said...

They must have had a good lawyer OR like you say other "luck".

Shug said...

lovely fence and a good history lesson here today. It is a beautiful building and I hope to visit there soon!
Enjoy your day...

Jeanne said...

Love the photo and the colorful history. Great story.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The Wild Wild West!
~

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That is a beautiful courthouse and fence! Sounds like the bad guys might have gotten away with murder!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I love this story history is fascinating. Love the old fence too. Hug B

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow what a great fence and story! I'm willing to bet they were found not guilty by the jurors out of fear for their own safety!

Judy said...

I like the fence but the beautiful brickwork is what caught my eye.
The gang may have gotten off but I doubt they lived happily ever after.

DeniseinVA said...

A great photo Kathy, with a very interesting part of history.

Paula said...

Kathy I would love to meet you for a coke but I don't live near Bandera. My daughter took that picture. She drives through Bandera several times a week to get to the old pony farm she is fixing up.

Kate said...

Beautiful as it is, I would not want to jump this fence!

A Colorful World said...

Real wild west stuff! Pretty cool!