Sorry for the abrupt absence, Dear Blogger Friends. My battery just seemed to go out at a moment's notice and I've had a couple of weeks of that feeling that I call the dropsies and don't-give-a-darns. Maybe it's these dog days of summer or perhaps just boredom, but whatever the reason, I feel it's time to shake off the doldrums and get back to what I was doing. Hopefully this little break will give me a feeling of rejuvenation.
When I last left you I was telling you and showing you some photographs of the wonderful Colorado County Courthouse in Columbus, one of the 65 historic courthouses I've photographed in Texas. I have a few more in my stash and I'm hoping to head out in the next week or so on another long journey to pick up some more to add to my historic courthouse fascination.
But in the meantime there were two other historic buildings in Columbus that I wanted to show you and tell you about. They are across the street from the courthouse on the square and within their walls is the story of one of the towns most famous residents.
The Stafford Bank and Opera House was built by Columbus' wealthiest citizen of the 19th century, millionaire cattle baron Robert E. Stafford, in 1886. Its grand interior, which could seat a thousand people, had gas-burning chandeliers and an elaborate hand-painted curtain. It's opening performance was a play, "As in a Looking Glass," starring the famous actress of the day, Lillian Russell. At one time it hosted a show by Harry Houdini and special trains from distant towns, including Houston, shuttled patrons to the performances.
In the same year Stafford built his home next door to the Opera House. It is said that he designed the home so that he could sit in his bedroom and watch the performances next door. The ornate Victorian structure originally had a cupola which was lost in the same hurricane that blew the clock tower off the courthouse in 1909. The home was sold to the Miller family in 1915 and is still owned by descendants of the original Miller owners.
Robert Stafford and his brothers came to Texas before the Civil War from Georgia. They made their fortunes in cattle, driving a herd to market in Kansas City as early as 1867. In addition to the bank and the opera house, Robert owned the Columbus Meat and Ice Company. On July 7, 1890, 3,000 citizens gathered on the square for festivities surrounding the laying of the cornerstone of the new courthouse. Many of them returned home in the late afternoon to prepare for the big dance that was scheduled that evening in culmination of the celebration. An hour before the dance was to begin, Bob Stafford and his younger brother got into an argument with the city marshal, who also was the son-in-law of the county sheriff, in a local saloon. What transpired between them is still in dispute depending on whose side one takes, but the outcome of the situation was that Robert and his brother were shot by the city official and killed. The feud between the two families which resulted lasted well into the 20th century with many additional lives being lost. Columbus supposedly has never regained the economic importance it had among Texas cities since Stafford's death.
Monday, August 24, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
i love the two front porches on that house. bob and i both had about 10 days of the same thing you described here, it went away. we were not sick, just not right.
Sad how such a rich and influential man had such a miserable ending! The o[era house sure is grand and the house very attractive. Glad you are feeling better!
I think the heat has knocked everyone for a loop this summer. I find it very interesting that he could watch the performance from his home.
A real life Hatfield's and McCoy's story! That house is beautiful.
Great story! I love the old buildings you photograph.
I too get into that "don't want to be bothered" frame of mind. It's hard to break out of it once it takes hold.
What a tragic end to the story. And now the city stands in the stories from the past. Great images to go with the story. If you like you can link up with the "Through My Lens" photo meme. Link is below.
Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography
Two grand old buildings and a story to go with them!
Fascinating history of the family! Enjoyed your photos of the grand court house and estate.
I've had the doldrums, too. I blame it on the heat. It is oppressive! Hopefully, it'll be over soon and we can get back to what we love when it's cooler. :)
hoping you're out of your funk. :) neat places you shared.
Interesting images!
I hope that the Opera House is still in use and active. The house is grand and definitely has a Southern flavor; it's beautiful. Great historical story!
Post a Comment