Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Colorado County Courthouse (Texas No. 65)
Constructed: 1891
Architectural Style: Classic Revival
Materials: Brick and Belton stone
Interesting Facts: One of the 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas. It was originally built with a tall clock tower which blew off the building during a major hurricane in 1909. The courthouse bell fell 120 feet and was completely buried in the earth, forcing the county to discontinue the $15 a month salary of the clock winder. The present copper dome was added in a 1939 restoration.
Situated on the Colorado River 75 miles due west of Houston, the county seat is Columbus, a small but historic town of nearly 3,700 people today. It is 240 miles south of Dallas and 230 miles southwest of my home near Garrison. A city of old and beautiful live oak trees Columbus' annual cemetery tour is called "Live Oaks and Dead Folks"!
I do not typically visit the inside of courthouses due to time constraints but an exception was made here because of a very unique feature. I'll show you tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
The facade is very symmetrical, and I am waiting patiently for your post tomorrow. Love the name of the cemetery tour.
How sad the clock winder lost his job because of a hurricane! I like the shape of the copper dome with the clock in it.
can't wait to see what made you go inside.. mural? 15 a month was good pay back then.. i like the clock
Took down the clock tower? That musta been a 'blow' in 1909.
I'm feeling a bit sorry for that clock winder. I can't wait to see inside.
The building is grand from the outside so I am curious to see what you found inside now.
I almost missed this one, glad I didn't. I think I like our "Live Oaks And Friendly Folks" better though. Interesting about the bell.
Love the clock in that dome thingy on top of the building. Beautiful architecture!
Another one I missed. It's gorgeous!
Post a Comment