Saturday, August 1, 2015

Caldwell County Courthouse (Texas No. 64)


In my opinion, the Caldwell County Courthouse in Lockhart, Texas, is the most beautiful of all the courthouses.  There are a small number of courthouses remaining on my list to photograph so I suppose I may be later swayed, but I think you will agree this is one heck of a gorgeous building!

THE PARTICULARS

Constructed:  1894
Materials:  Muldoon blue sandstone with Pecos red sandstone trim (Muldoon, a tiny town in a neighboring county, was the site of a quarry where this particular stone, popular in several courthouses constructed in Texas during the 1890s, was found)
Architectural style:  Second Empire

A major restoration was undertaken in 2000 but after only ten years it was discovered that the clock tower was twisting and was slightly tilted.  Those repairs  completed in 2013.

Tomorrow: The highlight of traveling to Lockhart  

7 comments:

Mersad said...

Wow. Such an impressive building.

Birdman said...

Wow!
It has a palace-look to it.

TexWisGirl said...

quite grand! i like the flags out front, too.

Sharon said...

Yes, this one is very beautiful. I love all the flags in front.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful building.

Judy said...

I have actually been to see this one in person! It is a beauty indeed. Somewhere I have a few snapshots of it but finding them is another thing all together.

A Colorful World said...

That's a beauty!