Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Famous Ben Wheeler Sign


Some of you who are everyday visitors to this blog may remember back in August I featured a portion of ghost sign which can be found in the tiny hamlet of Ben Wheeler, Texas.  I had made a special trip off the beaten path to see and photograph this sign for myself, only to find a large portion of the sign blocked by a local tinkering with his car.  On a recent trip back to that area with some friends, I cajoled them into detouring our planned route since we were in the vicinity of Ben Wheeler (unlike me, most people would rather travel interstate highways rather than the back roads) so I could have another chance.  This day I was luckier - only a rather inobtrustive motorcycle stood in the way of the complete sign.




15 comments:

Randy said...

What a great sign. Made me crave a Moonpie!

EG CameraGirl said...

Very cool. The motorcycle gives an idea of how BIG the mural is, so actually adds to the photo.

Amy Burzese said...

I remember and I'm so glad you got the whole sign without clutter. The motor cycle is a good touch. I detest interstates and am very glad I am no longer in that rush everywhere mode. Maybe your cohorts got a taste of the good life during your detour off the beaten path.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

it has been about 50 years since i had a moon pie. i love the close up of his face and I think the motorcycle adds to the photo... glad you took the back roads. i prefer backroads to

Jori said...

Oh my goodness! I love it! I want a moon pie too!

Anonymous said...

LOVE that sign... so 50s-ish!

Kate said...

A trip down Memory Lane is always a great deal of fun. The close-up is terrific!

Judy said...

This is a great mural, even though I can't imagine eating a moon pie and drinking a cola at the same time. Moon pie and coffee, now that sounds good. I think the motorcycle adds to the scene. There is just something about a town named "Ben Wheeler" that makes me want to go and have a look around! I am one of those people who take the back roads and try to stay clear of the big highways. There is so much to see on those roads less traveled.

TexWisGirl said...

it was worth the revisit. :)

Nancy said...

I love vintage signs and you captured this one perfectly. Thanks for sharing this delightful image.

Sharon said...

This sign is fantastic and it's all about two childhood favorites of mine, moon pies and Royal Crown Cola. I especially liked Royal Crown cola.

Reena said...

An awesome sign and the motorcycle adds to it I think!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Love the closeup of his cute little face and him holding his RC Cola and the moon pie.

Pia said...

Hi Kathy!
Haha, I did not notice the motorcycle as real when I had a first look at the sign. It fits, although it belongs to another time.
"To cajole" is a wonderful vocable, that wents straight into my brain.
Liebe Grüße,
Pia

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to convince your friends to detour. This has to be the best ghost sign I have seen thus far!

P.S., I have a spouse who prefers the Interstate; I'm the back roads half! lol!

Thanks for your visit and comment on my snowy scenes.

~Lindy