Building in downtown Decatur, Texas, Wise County
The phrase "Eighter From Decatur" is said to have originated in Decatur, Texas. It is a slang expression of craps shooters who are hoping to roll an eight. There are a couple different local legends concerning how the phrase was coined in the early 1900s and how it spread throughout the world. Rather than repeating a long rendition of the stories, if you're interested you can find them at this link.
Joining in on one of my favorite memes, Lesley's Signs, Signs.
Go on over and take a look at some of the other signs.


20 comments:
Great home made sign.
interesting. i first thought "wise" was used here as an adjective.:p
Signs
That is a great sign. Had not heard the slogan before, but it makes sense.
On todays post: The history of the crap shooters is always fun to read about with their rhymes and phrases! Great picture.
Yesterdays Colors: Just terrific and breathtaking, Is this how it is now or are these from a month or two ago? Our leaves have been gone for soooo long and I miss them.
Cheers,
Jo, Stella and Zkhat
I've led a sheltered life; I've never heard that phrase before. :-) It's a great sign!
~Lindy
Not heard of this before and I'm not sure I'm any wiser having followed the link.
Nice old school sign. I used to live in Texas and loved how they took pride in their state.
i did not know about your Decatur, there is one in GA outside Atlanta. cool sign, the dice coming out of TX
I like this. Like Sandra, I thought of Decatur, Georgia!
Thx so much for the helpful info on pics for my blog. Mildred
Very interesting!
I don't think I'd ever heard this phrase before but, then craps isn't my game. Now that I think about it, none of those gambling games work for me.
I'm glad you explained that sign because I didn't have a clue. You always find the most interesting things!
have never heard that expression before. :)
Not a craps player either - I should get out more! ;-)
This sounds vaguely familiar, but I had no idea where it came from.
Forgive my rudeness. I had to delete my first comment. I pushed the button too fast.
I was going to say: There is a Decatur in Illinois about 150 or so miles south of Chicago.
I love old signs. There are still plenty of them if you get far enough away from the city.
So funny! Great post for Signs Signs.
I appreciated your advice on the memory stick adapter! I'm a little afraid to get one on Amazon because I won't be sure it will fit into any of the ports on my computer unless I show the picture I took of them to the salesperson. :-) (Not very computer savvy!)
This expression is a new one for me.
Good that you included a link for further informations to this post Kathy. Otherwise I would have no glue.
Very interesting!
Liebe grüße,
Pia
Post a Comment