Sunday, December 16, 2012

Today and Yesterday


Delray, Panola County, Texas

Living as I do out in the boonies of rural East Texas and frequenting the back country roads I'm sometimes struck nostalgic by the incongruity of the timing that I find in one photographic frame.  This one is a perfect example of which I speak.  An old house or perhaps even a small barn sits quietly and slowly decomposing within feet of a cell phone tower.  A graphic illustration of how technology has changed and is changing our lives.

Even the community of Delray is more on the pendulum side of yesterday.  Its post office closed in 1905 and today it has a dispersed community of 40 residents.

A commenter from New Zealand yesterday asked "Are there just 30 people here?" in response to the sign at Moodyville BBQ.  If you've ever traveled through the great expanse of rural Texas, it's obvious the answer to that question is yes..  

16 comments:

Mari said...

I love old communities like this. This is a great shot of a charming old building.

Anonymous said...

Quite a juxtaposition isn't it?

Beth said...

A great shot!

Judy said...

If you hadn't mentioned the cell phone tower, I might not have even noticed it. When I am taking pictures I may not see things like that until I download them onto the computer.

Anonymous said...

Very nice take.

TexWisGirl said...

it's a beautiful old building, still.

Sharon said...

As Madge said, quite a juxtaposition. The people who lived in that little house long ago might not have even had a dial phone.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I would love to live in a cabin like this, but i do want my geek stuff. i often wonder when I see something like this what the people who owned that cabin would think if they could pop in and see what we have now. my mother died in 1990 and she would be shocked at what has happened since then.

Amy Burzese said...

That is so true. Old and new mixes together.

Kate said...

A scene like this makes one pause...are all the changes ones that are healthy and truly progressive? I don't pretend to know the answers as I am very willing to participate in all that is time-saving and fun!

Jo's World said...

I agree with Sandra about comparing what our mothers had. My Mom went to town with her folks in a horse and buggy. Learned to drive a Model A out in their pasture. Yet she was thrilled with Sputnik and the race to space. Every new thing that came along was thrilling to her. Whenever I see something new, I try and see it through her eyes!
She died in 1990, too.

Jo

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

What a delightful capture, Kathy. It looks so idyllic there.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I like the convenience of today, but love the charm of yesterday.

EG CameraGirl said...

Technology is definitely changing our way of life. The little building is picturesque.

Pia said...

This picture shows how fast things are changing. The old house has still so much charme.

Karen Lakis said...

Beautiful barn in a beautiful setting. I was so take in by them that I had to take a second look to notice the cell phone tower. It is funny the way the past and present seem to coexist.