Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Optimism
The sign is not the only thing that speaks of the unrelenting drought we're experiencing here all over the state of Texas. The fire truck is likely on its way to a wildfire. There were several reported in Nacogdoches County yesterday (the day this picture was taken). And you will notice the brown tree in the center of the photograph. Many of the trees are so stressed that they are going into dormancy in a effort to preserve moisture. It's the worst drought the state has experienced in over 60 years! Our neighbor to the east, Louisiana, has had lots of rainfall but it dries up before it comes across the border. My fear is that when hurricane season gets fully underway we will experience the opposite - flooding and heavy rains. Many were evacuated from this area in 2005 during Hurricane Katrina and much damage was experienced that same year from Hurricane Rita. Three years later Ike practically wiped Galveston off the map again.
Many of you expressed your sympathy over what you perceived to be the "loss" of our big oak tree reported in yesterday's post. The tree is still standing; it's just minus about 30 percent of its former size. The tree man who came is reluctant to climb it, because of the brittleness, to do any trimming. There is still a possibility that more of it may break off. I'm a little concerned because my bedroom is pretty close to some very large limbs, but life goes on and I can't live in fear of what may happen. My mom and I have decided, however, that we are going to start deep watering the tree to help stave off as much stress as possible. With the damage from the fracture yesterday it may die anyway. Just keep praying for rain. There is none forecast in the near future!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
i am SO there with you on the rain prayers... this week has been brutal once again...
So sending rain vibes to you!
I hope you all get rain soon too. We were the same for a while and now it comes in spurts. Every little drop makes difference. Funny shot.
I like the sign! I sure hope rain comes soon, I know how dry it's been.
Oak trees have long tap roots so the drought must be incredibly bad!
Rain rain, go out your way,
Go out that way
Everyday!
I hope it rains for you soon. Everytime it rains here, I almost feel guilty and wish I could bottle it up and send it to all my Texas friends.
Goodness, and we have had the wettest August in recorded history. It seems to be one extreme or the other. Hope the old tree makes it through.
Post a Comment