Saturday, August 6, 2011
Lufkin Mural ~ Brookshire Brothers
The story of Brookshire Brothers groceries is depicted in this mural in downtown Lufkin, Texas, along with several other murals, some of which have been featured on this blog. The grocery chain was started in Lufkin in 1921 and by 1928 there were 33 stores in East Texas. In 1991 Brookshires built one of the first gasoline stations to be located in the parking lot of a grocery store. Today the company is 100 percent employee-owned (5,600 employees) with 70 stores throughout East Texas which engage in a healthy competition with such national chains as Wal-Mart and Kroger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I love employee owned businesses. Great mural.
i didn't realize the employee-owned part. they're my grocer...
Amazing mural! The details and colors and wonderful.
I always love to visit places where they have these wonderful murals. This one is wonderful, especially as it shows the history of the store. Thanks Kathy and have a great week.
That has got to be the most colorful place in the country!
It is a beautiful mural and an interesting story about the company. I love the fact that they are employee owned. I think I'd be shopping there.
It is nice to hear that in a small town that a employee owned business can still compete against places like wal-mart!
Well, well, well...learn somethin' new every day! I did not know that Brookshire's was employee owned. Thanks for that tidbit of info and the pic of the mural..pretty cool stuff.
Berte
What a great mural!
Found you at Jill's. Hope you don't mind if I follow along. Always fun to read about other parts of Texas. Paula from south Texas
Way to go, Small-Town Ingenuity!! Love all the stories depicted in this one mural.
Great that small employee owned companies can still thrive! Love the mural!
Love this mural with its old-timey feel. And it makes my heart sing to know an employee-owned chain competes successfully with national chains. :)
Wow! Love that you found this mural! We shopped at Brookshires when I was a kid in Shreveport. My grandpa always got his jellybeans there :)
Post a Comment