Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Route 66, Heart Palpitations (Donley County Courthouse No. 11), and Rattlesnakes


Gas Station Mural on the side of a gas station in Tucumcari, New Mexico,
along Old Route 66
Oh, be still, my heart!

I think you know me well enough by now to not be surprised when I say my heart actually had palpitations when I drove up to the Donley County Courthouse in Clarendon, Texas.  Even though its staircase does not lead to a second floor (take note, Magpie!) it's still got to rank pretty high on the list of most beautiful courthouses in Texas, if not anywhere for that matter.  The Romanesque Revival structure of stone and brick was constructed in 1890 and renovated in 2002.  It is the oldest functioning courthouse in the Panhandle area of Texas.  Clarendon had a population of 1974 in the 2000 census.  How does a place so small support a courthouse like this?  Keys words:  Texas Panhandle, oil, natural gas, and helium!

   
Sign at rest area near Memphis, Texas.  Instruction duly noted.

10 comments:

Randy said...

That really is a beautiful building. Think I could do without the snakes.

TexWisGirl said...

LOVE the rounded walls of that building. it really is a beauty! surprised you could pry yourself (and your camera) away! :)

Jill said...

Ewwww....rattlesnakes! That courthouse is stunning. I also love the mural.

Sharon said...

My dad always liked Tucumcari New Mexico. You certainly found a great mural there. And, the courthouse is just stunning! The rattlesnake warning is always good advice.

Reena said...

the building is gorgeous
snakes not so

Judy said...

Three pictures that tell of the fun, beautiful and dangerous southwest.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up that there were no actual snakes on this blog. I don't need no stinking sign to remind me they are lurking about. :-)

Magpie said...

While catching up, I saw that Tracy was going to steer clear of this post today...so of course, it was the first one I went to. :) She's telling the truth...she doesn't need a sign to watch out. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

That truly IS a handsome courthouse! And the mural is so crisp and clean looking.

Suburban Girl said...

Beautiful photo of a beautiful courthouse too!