Sunday, July 31, 2011

Babbitt's ~ Flagstaff, AZ


I ran across a couple of these ghost signs, or brickart, while on my recent trip to Arizona where I visited  Flagstaff, my old hometown.  This one seemed to be advertising both Babbitt's Department Store and Babbitt's Drug Store.  The Babbitt brothers were prominent in business in Northern Arizona in the 1800s, involved in trading posts on the reservations, ranching, and the mercantile business.   They were one of the pioneer families in this area and Bruce Babbitt, a native of Flagstaff, served a Secretary of the Interior in the Clinton administration.  Babbitts have been known for their public service through several generations, most recently including Bruce Babbitt, Secretary of the Interior in the Clinton administration. 

8 comments:

Randy said...

I love this. Flagstaff is one of my favorite places.

Sharon said...

I love this brick art. You are really good at finding these gems. Bruce Babbitt was governor of Arizona for a short time too!

Reena said...

Love brick art and your photo is great in tones and texture!

Art said...

Love this brick art.Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I think this series of yours is my favorite.

Magpie said...

I need to get Tracy out and up the hill. We need to do some Northern Arizona time. Love your brickart.

EG CameraGirl said...

I always enjoy seeing the brickart of the Southwest.

Suburban Girl said...

This is a goody!