Monday, December 20, 2010

Golden Girl


Answers and Comments on Previous Posts:
Yes, EG, we're about 25 miles from the Louisiana border, about one hour's drive from Shreveport.

Dana:  It's very beautiful here.  We're smack dab right in the middle of the piney woods of Deep Texas East.  Green rolling hills, home of the long-leaf pine (the ones with the really long needles), a few alligators, lots of wild hogs, deer, raccoons, possums, armadillos, squirrels, a few coyotes and bobcats, and an abundance of colorful birds.  Can't wait for spring when we will have dogwood, redbud, honeysuckle, and wild roses growing in the woods.

I don't have any boots.  A few years back I frequently wore a pair of Tony Lama's but these days I'm afraid I'd have trouble getting them off.  Age tends to do something to the limberness of your body.

EG:  As far as the climate goes, both Arizona and Texas are pretty temperate.  At least in this area of Texas and Phoenix, although Texas is very humid and Arizona is very dry.  The wintertime temps aren't too diverse, although we do get quite a bit of freezing weather here.  But the lifestyle between a city of three to four plus million people (depending on which stat you look at ~ and that's metro Phoenix, of course) and living on quite a few acres with many miles between me and the nearest grocery, movie theater, gas station, doctor's office, etc., and our nearest neighbor about a quarter of a mile away ~ well, there's just no comparison. 

EG:  No, I was using a 55-250 mm lens on the cardinals in the previous post (as well as this one) and I was none too close.  Although that day I was able to venture a tad closer than I had been the day before.

11 comments:

DAnna said...

What an incredible photo! She is gorgeous, indeed!

Mari said...

This is another splendid shot!

gigi said...

What a beautiful bird and you captured it wonderfully!

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Just beautiful!

EG CameraGirl said...

This photo of a female cardinal is very, very good! Thanks for all the answers. I hope the Internet helps you settle into country living after having lived in the city. I didn't realize Phoenix has a population of 3 to 4 million.

Sharon said...

She is a real beauty.

Suburban Girl said...

Beautiful!

Randy said...

How lovely and she looks so proud.

Sharon Creech said...

Beauteous! Made me gape and smile this morning . . .

Magpie said...

Kathy! I love this one. Gorgeous photo. You are so talented and lucky to have such wonderful creatures to photograph.

Unknown said...

Great picture, mom!