Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Better Days


I am fascinated with dilapidated buildings, sheds, garages, barns, anything that has seen better days.  And there just happens to be an abundance of those types of structures in this area so I hope you don't get tired of looking at them.  Truck and I went out today and I spotted a few of these treasures in between spits of rain.  This one is located in a little community called Arcadia, which happens to be a spot in the road between Garrison and Center.  My grandparents lived about a mile from this scene over a hundred years ago.  Their house fell in a half-century ago and what was once their land (until they sold it in about 1940 and bought a general store in Jericho) now has a great big oil well on it.  Sigh!

9 comments:

Randy said...

I have the same fascination Kathy. They seem to draw you in for a peek. Beautiful photo. Wishing you happiness in your new home and in the new year.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Me, too! Thanks for sharing your find and history. I hope you find more for us to view.

Sharon said...

I enjoy these old buildings too! My sister lives in rural Missouri and when I visit I always find myself photographing old barns and abandoned homes.

Magpie said...

There's something romantic but haunting about these types of buildings. Bring them on! Love it.

Suburban Girl said...

I won't get tired of your photos. I love old places too.

Happy New Year!

Sharon Creech said...

Me, too, me, too: fascinated by old, dilapidated buildings . . .stories within!

Michelle said...

Hi Kathy....long time no see. :) I too love old buildings. Driving across the country you see a lot of them.

Happy New Year!

SouthernSass said...

I love this shot. The older the better - can't wait to see more!

Tracy said...

I love that you love these things. I also love that you like to share them! Happy New year, Kathy!