Monday, November 16, 2015
A Texas/Arizona Road Trip 4.1 - My Guy
May I introduce you to my guy, my 12-year-old grandson, Emerson. He was 7 years old when I left Phoenix to come to Texas to care for his great-grandmother and when I return he will be almost 13! He has grown and changed tremendously in those five years. Last week he started his first class at an organization called Junior Assembly, an etiquette and dance class for sixth graders that has been in existence in Phoenix the past 40 years. When his mom approached him, he actually wanted to attend this class, much to everyone's surprise. The boys must wear a sports coat and a necktie, the girls must wear white gloves! So in addition to learning how to do the waltz, the foxtrot, and the latest modern dance craze, they actually learn how to be young ladies and gentlemen, how to act at the dinner table and other social graces. I was happy to learn that there are actually places that teach those attributes these days. What's even better is the fact that parents are not allowed to attend any of the classes, only being invited to be guests at the Valentine's Dance at the conclusion of the program. His new clothes had come in the mail a couple days before my arrival so he surprised me by getting dressed up to show me his new look. His parents actually had one cuff of his new white shirt monogrammed with his initials. He had asked his mom if she knew how to tie a necktie (his other neckties are the clip-on variety) and when she told him he would have to ask his dad for help in that category he just went to YouTube and learned to do it himself! He's a pretty smart young man. I think he realizes that girls are much more interested in fellows that actually know how to dance as opposed to those goofballs who look like wild chickens or simply act like clowns out on the dance floor.
Emerson has been active in sports since he was three years old and currently plays baseball practically year-round. He is learning the keyboard and has taken piano lessons, makes nearly all As in school and next year will be attending a special junior high school for students with exceptional skills in math and science. And of course, he will know how to dance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
i love his well-rounded interests and willingness to learn social graces, too!
Kathy, You have much to praise in this young man. Does he know how proud you are of him? It shines through your comments. He's lucky to have you in his cheering section!
What a great post! I had no idea there was such a class and I find it very pleasing to know that parents have the foresight to sent their children to it. He truly is a very smart young man.
great idea to have classes like that..and good that he wanted to do it. sounds like he is one well rounded pre teen.
WOW! He sure will be well [repared for adult life when he gets there! I'm impressed!
A young man to be proud of and I'm sure you are happy you will be near by again.
I think that is fantastic. I wish I could find one of those classes around this area for my four grand boys. Your Emerson is a charmer and very handsome.
Oh, I know you are one proud Grandmother!
Post a Comment