Friday, November 20, 2015

A Texas/Arizona Road Trip 9.2 - Anson - Jones County Courthouse (Texas No. 79)


From the first moment I saw a photograph of this Post Office mural I fell in love with it and declared it my favorite.  However, I am somewhat fickle and I actually have several favorites but this one is definitely in the running.  "Cowboy Dance" by Jenne Magafan depicts a once-a-year activity which has occurred in Anson since 1885, an annual  Christmas Cowboy Ball where townsfolk dress like cowboys from yesteryear, much like their ancestors did in those early days of the town.

But even this lovely mural provided a certain amount of controversy.  The artist placed a brown jug, the traditional container of moonshine whiskey,  in the lower right-hand corner of the mural and many citizens took great offense because Anson traditionally had been a dry county (to this day Texas still has county option on whether or not alcohol may be legally sold) and even back in its frontier days had never had an open saloon.  Some felt that this oversight signified a careless disregard for the community and was an insult to its upright, moral character.  Others, however, felt the mural was delightful, as do I!

(Reprinted from the Internet)

And now I've uncovered a bit of a mystery.  While looking up the artist Jenne Magafan on the Internet I find this painting from the Smithsonian Art Museum and the Renwick Gallery website which is stated to be the Anson Post Office Mural.  That website indicates it was a transfer from the Internal Revenue Service through the General Services Administration.  All the particulars are the same, the name, the year painted (1941), the artist, although it does not have the cut-out for the postmaster's door and, while although similar, there are significant changes in the details.  First of all, there is no jug and the guitar player is wearing a hat.  The woman in the green dress has a partner who looks nothing like the partner in the mural I photographed.  The blond woman on the left has her back to the audience and her partner has a full head of hair.  The woman spectator on the left is far thinner than in the mural on display.  A side note on the Smithsonian site states that the mural is currently not on view!  My speculation (and it's total speculation, with no credibility whatsoever) is that the painting that the Smithsonian has was a preliminary painting drawn by the artist.  Every single image, other than this one, that I find on the web matches exactly to the mural that was at the Anson Post Office when I visited there on November 6.


One block from the post office is the Jones County Courthouse.  My perfect town:  a Post Office Mural and an historic courthouse!

Constructed:  1910
Architectural Style:  Beaux Arts
Materials:  Brick and Pecos red sandstone


Jones County and its county seat, Anson, is named for one Anson Jones.  That makes it simple!  Anson Jones, a physician, was born in Massachusetts, practiced medicine in New York, came to Texas prior to the battle for independence from Mexico, settled and practiced medicine in the town of Brazoria south of Houston where he was one of the founders of the first Masonic Lodge in Texas, fought at the Battle of San Jacinto, served as Texas' Ambassador to the United States and as the last president of the Republic of Texas.  Ironically enough, there is no record that he ever traveled anywhere near the city and county which bear his name!  I do love the patina on this statue.

11 comments:

Mersad said...

The mural is really cheerful. I like it as well. The courthouse is a beauty!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Unknown said...

Another grand building and a mural wonderfully done!

DeniseinVA said...

Fascinating history Kathy. I was also fascinated with the differences in the two murals. Thanks for sharing these great photos from Anson.

Paula said...

I do like this mural and the differences I find very interesting.

Sharon said...

I love that mural and it's truly interesting that you found a photo of one almost like it. This courthouse has a very traditional look.

Suburban Girl said...

I definitely love all the motion in that mural. Very eye catching.

Jeanne said...

i Just love all the wonderful murals you find. I'm so glad they have been preserved.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, I really enjoyed seeing this mural and reading the research you did on it and the differences in the paintings.
Beautiful historic courthouse too. Thanks for sharing.
Have a great rest of the weekend and Happy Thanksgiving. xo

TexWisGirl said...

neat mural and i liked the controversies. :)

Kate said...

A mystery is fun to unravel. Re. the jug, I am not a fan of censorship so the jug should remain! Mr. Jones was busy man!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm impressed that you found one photo of the mural that was different! Great sleuthing! The town I live in was a dry town when we we first moved here many years ago. Times have changed.