Friday, October 23, 2015
A Texas Road Trip 3.4 - Honey Creek
Between Boerne and Blanco I could see spires and crosses on a distant hill and wondered if I would pass by. I eventually did find St. Joseph's at Honey Creek, a one-time community in Comal County which was settled by German immigrant families in the 1840s.
There was a large development and as \I drove through the area, another church was nearby on the grounds. I passed a rather large cemetery and the road narrowed and went steeply up a hill and eventually became barely wide enough for even my small vehicle.
At the top of the hill stood a tiny chapel overlooking the two churches of the parish below.
And this, my friends, is the Texas Hill County where it was a wonderment to find this spot high above even the tall church spires that I had seen for several miles, and my view was unobstructed for miles and miles on this beautiful Texas day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
I remember driving around the hill country on a trip one year and enjoying the views so much. That part of Texas is so different than the long flat stretches along interstate 10.
Love the little chapel. My daughter and her first husband owned a weekend place between Blanco and Johnson City. The little road leading to it was like you described. No electricity, no phones but so peaceful. It was called Ole' Two Cow Ranch.
glad you found it! big, sturdy church and sweet tiny chapel.
Wow! Wonderful images with those big fluffy white clouds.
I like the stone and simplicity of its style. A nice find.
Gorgeous view!
A lovely area, Kathy, and such pretty churches. I did always enjoy the Hill Country!
Post a Comment