Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Texas Road Trip 1.4 - Coryell County Courthouse (Texas No. 7) Revisited


Stop four on my road trip took me from Waco  40 miles west to Gatesville so I could take another look at the Coryell County Courthouse.  Like Waco I had been through here in the past but was not all that pleased with my photo of this beautiful courthouse (see original photo).  As I stopped on the north side of Main Street it looked the same as it had four years previously: pecan trees hiding the details, a washed-out sky, that bright while sunlight that caused overexposure problems and turned the white statuary into ghosts.  I kept looking for a better angle so I got back in the car and decided to check out another view.  As I drove past the south entrance the scene was completely different.  It was more open and visible, clouds suddenly appeared above to give some definition, and at this point I decided that the entrance on Leon Street had to be the main entrance and the north side was actually the back of the courthouse.  I wondered why the official address on Main is not the front of the building.  A short while later I found the answer.  Keep reading.

Constructed: 1897
Architectural style:  Beaux Arts
Materials:  limestone and red sandstone



Since my last trip I had discovered the many Post Office murals in Texas and I had learned that Gatesville had one, so the next stop was to see Joe DeYong's "Off to Northern Markets" painted in 1939.  In the foreground the cook drives his chuck wagon along the trail while the cowboys are driving a herd of horses and a much larger herd of cattle.  De Yong was a real life cowboy and western artist, a protege Charles Russell at his Montana studio, and also worked on a technical advisor in the movie industry.  At the time he produced the mural he was also working with Cecil B. De Mille on the set of Union Pacific.

As I was taking my photograph, a gentleman stopped and asked if there was anything about this big painting (10 feet long, 5 feet high) that bothered me.   I told him I loved everything about it but for some reason the mules pulling the cook's wagon seemed a little off.  He explained that the mules are depicted as pacing where both legs on the same side of the animal move forward together, rather than a trot where two legs diagonally from each other move forward together.  He said only horses pace, not mules.  I thought the mule bodies looked a little more like horses than mules but otherwise I had no complaints.  We discovered he had grown up in Nacogdoches near where I live and I explained why I was driving through town and mentioned my dilemma about the address of the post office seeming to be on the back side of the building.  That's when I learned that what is now Leon Street was once Main Street but many years back when a major U.S. highway came through the town the town fathers felt that the main road should be called Main Street so they reversed the names of the streets but the courthouse kept the same address so today the back side of the courthouse is believed by many to be the main entrance when in reality it is not.  Strange!


As I headed out of Gatesville to my final destination much further south I crossed the Leon River.  Texas has some beautiful very wide rivers and they are very difficult to photograph from the roadway.  As I drove off the bridge I noticed a paved road to the right which led to a small parklike area with a boat ramp so I stopped for a few snaps and spotted a white egret.  He waited very patiently while I took several photos, seemed to be oblivious to my presence, and we both eventually went on about our day.

I hope you're all having a pleasant weekend now that autumn is official here.

13 comments:

MadSnapper n Beau said...

interesting about the address and the changed streets. and i would not notice the legs on the mules or know about pacing, but that is also interesting info and i bet he was pleased to be able to pass it on. the painting is wonderful.

Sharon said...

Another spectacular courthouse! I love the color combination and I enjoyed that story about it's address. Renaming those streets seems like such and odd thing to do.

Judy said...

How fortunate to meat the gentleman with some answers to your questions. I see that Justice is still up there and hasn't lost any limbs.

Birdman said...

Kind of ironic the that change of address happens at a post office. File under Quirky.

TexWisGirl said...

laughing at birdman's comment. :) i knew what pacing was but wouldn't have noticed the mules are depicted doing it. i like the mural. the courthouse is quite colorful.

Stephanie said...

Another beautiful building!

Paula said...

Very interesting. You know how to get down to the nitty gritty and find the answers.

EG CameraGirl said...

How interesting that the street names were changed. The main street in my village is not called main street but a side street is. Well, at one time there was a train station here and Main Street WAS the main street.


I like the view of the entire building but I also like the photos you posted before. :)

Unknown said...

The architecture is fantastic! Beautiful heron too.

Blogoratti said...

Really interesting indeed, and nice photos. Greetings!

Suburban Girl said...

Nice of the egret to pose for you. They are usually skittish up here and if they see you they move on.

Kate said...

Friendly strangers certainly can clear up a lot of details!

A Colorful World said...

Very interesting about them switching the front and back of the courthouse because the road changed. I love that the gentleman knew that mules don't pace. I learned something new today! It's a great mural, regardless. :-)

I emailed you from my alternate email address. Hope you got it. I will look forward to hearing from you after you get settled!