Thursday, October 22, 2015

A Texas Road Trip 3.3 - Boerne


Stop three on day three of my September road trip was in Boerne (pronounced Bernie).  I had been there previously in December during our Christmas trip but my journey this day took me there again. I was intrigued by the castle-like beauty of St. Helena's Episcopal Church and stopped to take a walk through the gardens.


I immediately thought of TexWis and her Good Fences meme ( CHECK IT OUT) when I saw the wrought iron fencework amid the beautiful stone masonry.


The present Gothic stone structure was built in 1929.




Something very orange was happening that day at noon at Main Plaza Park.  It was mid-September so a little early for Halloween.


This sweet little Victorian house was getting some roof TLC.

Boerne is the county seat of Kendall County.  I featured a post on its old courthouse back in February which you can see HERE.  It was settled by German immigrants and today is a city of 10,500.  It is a part of the San Antonio/New Braunfels metropolitan area.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

What a beautiful church! I love the sculpture too! Lovely images. Happy Thursday, have a great weekend ahead!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kathy, such a beautiful church right here in Texas and the fence is a great accent. Love the statue too. Your photos are special and I really enjoy how you share parts of our state. I want to visit many the little towns you have featured. Have a great day.xo

Lea said...

Beautiful church!
Love the fence!

Sharon said...

That church is stunning. It looks like it's very lovingly maintained too. That stone work and the castle-like look reminds me a place I found in a small town in Iowa many years ago. Driving through town I could see the castle-like building in the distance so you drove over to find it. It was such a gorgeous looking building but to my surprise it turned out to be a prison. After realizing what it was, it started to take on a more sinister look.

EG CameraGirl said...

I've always liked the look of old Episcopal/Anglican churches.

DeniseinVA said...

It is gorgeous Kathy, beautiful photos. I also enjoyed the statue of St Francis of Assisi? It really is a lovely work of art whoever it is. Love the Victorian too and the other structure festooned in orange.

Ida said...

That church was gorgeous. It had some wonderful ornate fencing & statues. - Enjoyed the Victorian home too.

Christine said...

The church is very eye catching built in that stone & the railings are lovely!
Looks like a nice place to live!
Christineandhercamera.blogspot.com

TexWisGirl said...

neat house! i had no idea to pronounce it that way. great church and fencing, too!

Paula said...

I like this town, we used to play them in football back in the 50's. This is where I bought my new truck last November.

Jeanne said...

What a beautiful church! It reminds me of churches in Ireland.

Kate said...

The stone work of this church is very attractive and helps make it look like a castle or fortress. Certainly is a structure of great solid strength. I LOVE the statue which I am assuming is St. Francis of Assisi.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful shots and sky! That old stone church... I thought perhaps you had taken a trip to Europe!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful church with the lovely stonework. Love the last shot with its tin roof.

Debbie said...

what a gorgeous church!! it reminds me of the chapel at duke university...such beautiful stone work!!!