Saturday, October 17, 2015
A Texas Road Trip 2.8 - Atascosa County Courthouse (Texas No. 72)
The next stop was in Jourdanton, county seat of Atascosa County. I cannot give you a pronunciation because I've never heard the county name spoken. I should have stopped and asked someone but I didn't think of it at the time, as it had been a long day. I did not traverse long miles but up to this point I had made ten stops along the way.
Constructed: 1912
Architectural Style: Mission Revival
Materials: Brick and stone
Some people say Jourdanton "stole" the county seat from Pleasanton but history says there was a special election in 1910 in which the outcome was a vote to move to courthouse from one town to another. I don't know why an election was held but it caused many hard feelings between the two towns, some of which still exist today.
Jourdanton has very slowly grown over the past censuses and now has a population nearing 4,000. It is located 130 miles from Laredo on the Mexican border, 400 miles to the Oklahoma border, and 115 miles from Corpus Christi on the Gulf of Mexico.
This is the home courthouse of Paula, blogger friend from Pauline's Country Tales. I hope the photo is to your liking, Paula. I had nothing to do with that dramatic sky but I'm so happy it made an appearance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
WOw, that sky makes such a great backdrop for this architecture.
Yes Kathy the photo is nice but as I said before our courthouse isn't pretty like so many you have posted. I've served on the jury there and thought it looked old inside. Atascosa is pronounced just like it is spelled. All that growth between Jourdanton and Pleasanton is new since the oil boom the last couple of years. People locally pronounce Jourdanton more like Jerdanton. Thanks Kathy.
Such elaborate design for such a small town. This amazes me. Huh, I'm amazed easily, you see.
What a wonderful sky to serve as a backdrop for you photo.
dramatic sky is the right word for this one.. and i love the symmetry of this old courthouse and the sweeping stair case
awww, stomping around paula's grounds! neat!
Wow, this one is beautiful! Love the blue sky making the building look even more dramatic!
Feelings of rivalry can last generations and so it has here!
Believe it or not, my region is currently fighting over where our courthouse ought to be located. We already have a perfectly good one but some people from the south side of the region where the population is high to the centre of the region where the population is not as dense. It's not like it's THAT many miles to travel...not like Texas!
Wow...strife and struggle! :-)
Post a Comment