Monday, October 12, 2015

A Texas Road Trip 2.3 - Cestohowa


After Floresville I headed south in search of the tiny settlement of Cestohowa, one of the first Polish settlements in the United States.  It was only 22 miles but I had no addresses so no way of programming my GPS but I had handwritten out the directions on how to find this tiny community. This little house with a neatly kept lawn was my first clue that I was in the area and then I saw the church spire.


Like many of the Czech Catholic churches in Central Texas, the beautiful Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary looms on the horizon long before you get to the building.

Cestohowa was founded in 1873 by 40 Silesian families who lived in a nearby village (more on that tomorrow!).  For a few years it had a post office and a school but in the 1930s its population declined to about 100, the same as today.  For a small village, the church is massive.  The parking lot probably accommodates 200 vehicles and there are 65 pews in the sanctuary.  The interior of the church is simple but beautiful.


At the edge of the parking lot on the church grounds was this rather large bush with the red/orange blossoms which had attracted dozens of black swallowtail butterflies.  I had a larger lens in my car so after my photos of the church I retrieved the lens and captured many nice photos of these beautiful butterflies.  Just an extra added attractive which wasn't on my list of things to see.

9 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed your Texas Road trip and that pretty butterfly. Have a great week Kathy.

Kate said...

I consider butterflies to be good luck! I had the same thought about the church and its size.

Paula said...

A beautiful church indeed. We stopped there once , don't think we ever looked inside. We've passed it on some of our country road rides, but we mostly take the gravel or dirt roads. We have found two new ones (new to us) lately and my truck doesn't look new any more.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

this church is so very beautiful. i love every part of it. and the spire against the sky is fantastic. that is a really big church for so small a town

Sharon said...

That really is a stunning butterfly shot. I love it.

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous butterfly, love that rusty roof on the first shot and the second shot, such beautiful scenic shot.

Birdman said...

Love viewing your travelog. You show us so much, in just a few photos.

TexWisGirl said...

a community i'd never heard of before. that church sure grabs the attention!

EG CameraGirl said...

Handsome church and I very much like the butterfly photo.