Friday, October 9, 2015

A Texas Road Trip 2.1 - Seguin

Life is ever changing, isn't it.  I had to be away another few days because this time my laptop crashed and it had to have a new hard drive.  That's two computer failures in the past few months.  I now have computer services again and the sale of my family's property is speeding down the road.  I finally have a land survey scheduled and an appraiser should be contacting us soon.  An attorney is preparing sale documents, deeds, et cetera.  At present I have a driving trip planned to Arizona before the end of the month to take some items that need to be transported and I'm hoping for my final move before Thanksgiving or at least by the end of November.  All this means I won't be posting or visiting while this relocation occurs.  In the meantime I'll try to post the remainder of the road trip I took in September and the following post is the first stop of the second day in Seguin, Texas.


Seguin is a lovely city of 25,000 35 miles east of San Antonio and is named for the political and military leader during Texas' fight for independence from Mexico and continued to be an important force throughout the early days of the Republic and later  after Texas' admission to the Union.  This large beautiful statue of Seguin dominates the plaza in the central portion of the city.


Seguin's first church and bell tower built in 1849 still stand and have been lovingly restored.  The two doors for the church entrance illustrate an earlier practice of having a door for the women and children and a separate door for the men!


St. James Catholic Church in the early morning light

10 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm not sure why but the name of this city sounds very familiar to me. Does it happen to be close to Interstate 10? Maybe I've driven by there several times. Beautiful photos.

Sharon said...

Oh and by the way, I can't believe you had another computer crash. That is crazy! Glad you are working again.

Judy said...

I have driven by this town a long time ago. I love the morning light in that last shot.
I hope your move goes smoothly.

EG CameraGirl said...

Your life sounds very busy and exciting, Kathy! Lots to do and think about!

Birdman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Birdman said...

Thanks for your bit of personal history... are we not at the beck and call of these machines? They ARE narcotics!
Thanks also for that fact about the 2 doors. Didn't know. Not surprised though. Where did non-whites enter if ever, I wonder?

TexWisGirl said...

really glad things are proceeding! fingers crossed all will continue on schedule!

Stephanie said...

Good luck with the move. Sounds like exciting times for you. Love these images!

Kate said...

Happy that your sale is moving along so rapidly, but you certainly have a lot to do! Those two doors make me think that some parts of the world are still segregating the sexes. Some religions, too.

A Colorful World said...

It sounds like you definitely have had your share of computer woes, lately! Love both churches in Seguin! The statue is impressive. Good luck with both phases of your move! Hope you sell your property quickly! Can't wait to hear from you.