Thursday, October 1, 2015
A Texas Road Trip 1.1 (Day 1, Stop 1)
Here I am returning after another long absence. My plate has been very full lately. I was again inundated with work for several days before my trip and the work piled up and came thundering down upon my return. Then I was advised that the buyer for my farm has been approved for financing through the USDA in a program which supports young adults in the agricultural industry. So now I've been involved in the many things that will need to be accomplished to close escrow, which on a farm is about five times more complicated than if you're just buying or selling a house. Environmental studies and land surveys are just a part of the process. It could take possibly as long as two months for those things to happen. The ultimate outcome will of course result in my returning to Arizona, hopefully by Thanksgiving and surely by Christmas. I have taken a temporary leave of absence from my work to help me deal with all these issues.
So here goes with that Texas road trip I promised you a few weeks ago. Normally I just edit a bunch of pictures and throw them in a bucket and sort of draw them out randomly but this time I've decided to show you what I saw in chronological order.
My first stop was in Teague, Texas, 130 miles west of home, and my only purpose was to see the Post Office mural which I had heard about. Its title is Cattle Roundup and it was painted by Thomas M. Stell, Jr., in 1940. Upon first glance one might think this was an appropriate mural for this area of the state but upon closer examination, many of the details are not authentic. Teague itself is considered a part of East Texas and the landscape portrayed by Stell doesn't exist. Stell was a native of Cuero, Texas, and taught at the Dallas Art Institute and surely was aware that saguaro cactus does not grow in Texas. The armadillo is also out of place in a plains locale and I can't imagine a mother vulture putting her nest of eggs on top of a rock out in the hot Texas son. The cowboy's boots look more like Dutch clogs than cowboy footwear. And the baby saguaro is almost laughable. It's definitely an interesting piece and Teague is no doubt pleased, as it should be, that it is one of the elite towns that has a Post Office mural.
As I left the post office I noticed a mural just across the street on the side of a large building portraying the early days of Teague when the railroad was an important part of its economy. As most towns, Teague evidently had a nice depot with a hotel within a short distance. The mural seemed to be a bit faded but I was happy I had stumbled across it. Today Teague has 3,500 residents and seems to be a quiet little town.
As I drove over the railroad tracks and out of town I glanced to my left and there was the depot! Obviously restored and very beautiful, there was a big train engine parked there and when I went back to explore a bit I realized the engine was running. Before I left it actually backed up a few feet! A note here about the photo. When my computer crashed not too long ago I naturally lost my Photoshop program which I primarily used to run some Topaz filters. I eventually found my Photoshop box but the disc was missing and it still had one use on it. I had the serial number and I know there is a way to download it from the web but I searched for longer than I usually spend doing anything and was unable to find out how to do that. While I was looking around on the web I ran across a program called Smart Photo Editor, opened a trial version of it, and while playing around I came up with this wacky shot of the train and the depot. This is really out of character for me but I decided to pay for the program and I had a lot of fun for too many hours yesterday playing with this new toy.
And sitting right next to the depot was the Teague Hotel. I think I found a couple of jewels in a little town that most people only pass through!
I'll try to spend a couple hours visiting your blogs today. Then I must go see about getting new tires for my truck in anticipation of a trip to Arizona!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
Hi Kathy, I was thinking of you and here you are with an awesome post. Congrats on the sale of your farm and upcoming move. Having sold homes and moving so many times in my life, I can only imagine how involved selling and moving from a farm will be.
Love this history lesson from Teague, Texas. Such a sweet little town. The mural is awesome along with the vintage buildings.
Best wishes on the upcoming move in a few months to Arizona.
cm
Congratulations on the sale of the farm. Lots of work ahead but oh how exciting! And what fun to play with your new toy!
That really is a nice Post Office mural but, your information about the discrepancies made me laugh. The artist must have been making up as he painted. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you getting things ready to turn over to the new owners. Good luck with all that work! I'll be looking forward to having you back in Arizona.
i did think a few of those mural features were odd or out of place, even before knowing it was in east texas. really nice edit on the train shot!
and congrats on selling the farm! hope all goes through smoothly (as can be!)
Thank you for this tour. I likle photo #3 so very much!
Congrats on the sell as well. I hope it will go as planned and that you will be happy. Love the train photo and the way you edited it. have a great weekend ahead.
Yep those eggs could cook in the hot Texas sun. Hope the rest of your farm sale goes smoothly.
Congratulations on the sale of your farm! I had no idea it involved more than a house. Wonderful images!
beautiful murals and I like the train and depot and that wonderful old hotel... I did not know you were selling or even thinking of moving to AZ. I thought you were Texas to the bone and would never leave it. hope all goes well with the sale
You've packed a lot of information into your blog today. Small towns. What history!
Love your murals even if some aspects of it are not authentic. You have really been busy, and I am glad that you have a timetable for returning to Az.
Sorry you have been so over-worked. A trip to AZ! Where? Could we perhaps meet???? Email me at bluelotustile@gmail and let me know if there's a possibility! Loved seeing the beginning of your Texas road trip and seeing Teague.
Post a Comment