Sunday, April 12, 2015
Dubina Cemetery
Across the road from the church featured in the previous post is the Sts. Cyril and Methodius Cemetery in Dubina. It is in a quiet, peaceful area of the countryside.
The cemetery has both old and new graves. It is situated in a grove of trees. I love seeing trees in cemeteries, but I know that graves and trees do not make for compatible neighbors.
There were several graves that were marked with decorative iron markers. They were simple but with some elaborate designs, if that's not an oxymoron. Most of them had no engraving or other markings.
Most of those graves appeared to be very old and I wondered if they were perhaps a replacement for tombstones which had disintegrated over the years. Tombstones aren't very cheap these days. Then again, all things being relative, they probably weren't cheap in olden days either.
This one actually had some sort of a plaque attached to it with the name of and dates of birth and death of the deceased.
A few of the markers actually contained photographs in a raised sort of bubble embedded in the tombstone. I don't want my picture on mine.
All of the older stones are written in Czech. I tried to find translations but failed miserably. I did determine that "rozena" means "nee" or designates a woman's maiden name. I believe that "na Morave" is a partial name of a town since I found a reference to a town called Nove Mesto na Morave in the Czech Republic and a few other towns with "na Morave" in their names but none which matched these particular tombstones.
A closeup of the tiny angel at the base of the tombstone in the above photo. I noticed in this one the extra hand sticking out on the left side of the angel and now I see it's either a baby or a cherub but the book she is reading obscures its face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
What a very interesting place to explore. Thanks for taking us along.
it is a very interesting cemetery, lots of things i have not seen. i like the crosses made from metal.. and i am with you , no photo on the grave please... it looks so peaceful
in wisconsin, quite a few old graves have the portraits on them in ovals. now you've got me wondering if that's because of the czech populations there. (i'm half czech). love the old iron markers. wonderful! i'd prefer that to any old cement block.
Like the small picture. There is a tintype photo attached at Evergreen in the city. Seen it. Lost it. I'm going to find it again.
No green on the ground there. A few graves around here in the cemeteries we explore have the oval pictures. I always make it a point to look at them.
Love tha angel.
Post a Comment