Saturday, August 2, 2014

Building a Nest


For three days I watched a Carolina Wren couple work tirelessly building a nest in a flower pot on our front porch.  I couldn't resist checking it out several times a day.  I even made plans to take daily pictures and hoped to eventually see the eggs and then babies and then fledglings.  I suppose I was too curious about the nest because as soon as they got it finished (or it looked finished to me) they abandoned it and never returned!  Next time I'll remember to keep my distance

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

some birds make several nests before they settle into one. perhaps it wasn't your fault!

Dan said...

I have the same wren family using three birdhouses.

Your fella has a mighty beakfull!

Jeanne said...

I've enjoyed the last several posts immensely especially the camel kisses and kitty. What a precious picture of that little bird!
I've been away for a bit but I went back a looked at every thing I missed.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

bird nest amaze me, all those little pieces and they stay together and hold the babies. lets hope Teresa is right about them making several

Sharon said...

He's got some nice, strong materials there. They must have decided it wasn't such a great place after all.

Lois Evensen said...

They are such fun to watch, aren't they. :) Nice shot.

Kaya said...

Kathy it's not you fault at all, sometimes the birds don't feel safe in the nest they built and they leave it for more safer place.

This little one is so precious. He/she has to learn how to fly. Exceptional capture! Love it so much!

Judy said...

You got a nice close up of the little builder. They are a bit touchy about being watched.

Suburban Girl said...

I read something about them building nests to keep other birds from building too close to the real nest. But I forget where I read that so I can't attest to its validity.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

It's amazing how much those little guys can carry when building their nests. A robin built a nest in the window box on the garage. I did get pictures of the 4 little blue eggs and when the babies were ready to fly. I'll have to post them one of these days.

Amy Burzese said...

I'm a stalker too. I always convince myself that if I'm consistently present, they won't be spooked.

Kate said...

Disappointing! Guess they are fair weather friends.

EG CameraGirl said...

I love this photo, Kathy. I have had house wrens make nests in my yard and then abandon them. I think they might be trying to fool possible predators.