Friday, August 22, 2014

The Joint Down by the River


Texas is one of those places that still has local option as far as the legality of sales of liquor, beer and wine.  Many counties which are dry are adjacent to wet counties, and many county borders within the state are designated by rivers. Therefore at one time there was an abundance of beer joints or honky-tonks on the river banks of wet counties.  This old joint on the banks of the Neches River between Houston and Nacogdoches Counties has a Texas flag theme, sporting the iconic lone star.

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

wow. what a cool old place! i can imagine it has seen some times!

Randy said...

What a great find.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

wish those walls could talk.. i like this a lot...

Birdman said...

Beauty!

EG CameraGirl said...

Super find. So did the police on the dry side of the line arrest people returning from the wet side? Fascinating bit of history.

Paula said...

Old buildings needing repair make interesting subjects.

Judy said...

What a great place to photograph. I can almost hear that honky-tonk music drifting out. I never understood the idea of wet and dry counties. Seems like it would only put impaired drivers on the longer road home.

Jeanne said...

I love it!! So happy you captured it before it's gone!

Sharon said...

That is one very photogenic old building. I love it.

Anonymous said...

What a cool find.. love it's overgrown rustic-ness.. and the history is equally as interesting...

Kate said...

If those walls could talk I'd be with there taking notes!

A Colorful World said...

It's funny that someone asked me if The Whistle Stop Cafe was the name of the restaurant in Fried Green Tomatoes...which of course it was....but that made me think of that movie when seeing your post. There was a honky tonk down on the river in that movie too. It was based I'm sure on the many that existed in the south during that time frame. Love your photo of this one!